boy"O"boy's 1992 Marin Pine Mountain / Browning suspension

Re:

Hi All.

Progress has been slow, but the paint has now been completely stripped from the frame.
Modern Nitromors were completely ineffective, so I've using coarse sanding pads, a heat gun and a razor blade! I could have done it quicker if I'd had it media blasted but chose to do this myself by hand. :facepalm:
Next up: Priming and painting. I'm going to do this myself too.

Here's some pics of where I'm at so far...

boy"O"boy

Attachments

• marin seatstay.jpg
    marin seatstay.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 760
  • marin dropout2.jpg
    marin dropout2.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 759
  • marin dropout.jpg
    marin dropout.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 759
  • marin frame 2.jpg
    marin frame 2.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 759
  • marin frame 1.jpg
    marin frame 1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 760
Re:

Slow progress to date. :roll:

Decided that I would paint this myself. Etch primed then white primer rubbing down between coats. Unfortunately, one of the things about doing this at home has been that I have to paint this outdoors. It's been fair to say that when I have been able to paint, the weather has been against me for the last few weeks! :roll:
This is where I'm at currently..... the neon orange bars have come out really well. The frame has needed a bit more rubbing down between coats to get the finish of the fluorescent orange consistent.
The plan is then to mask up the orange when I'm happy with it then paint in the satin black which is near to the '92 zolatone colour.

Pics of (slow) progress.

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• pine paint 2.jpg
    pine paint 2.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 687
  • pine paint 1.jpg
    pine paint 1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 687
Re:

....but in the down time, I've been trawling google images looking for other bikes that offered the browning suspension fork. Seems most of these were offered 91/92 model years before it completely disappeared.

so far...

1992 MY Marin 'Pine Mountain' and 'Team' editions.

1992 Fusion 0260

The VTT cover (Sept 1991) shows a browning equipped Muddy fox. One off Prototype or was this offered in their product range? Similar in Colour scheme to Retrobikeguy's Trials unit but without the Maguras.

GT Psyclone prototype. Any more info on this?

1992 Redline Platinum BMX

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• Psyclone_Proto (1).jpg
    Psyclone_Proto (1).jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 691
  • muddy fox browning fork.JPG
    muddy fox browning fork.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 692
  • fusion 0260 catalogue.jpg
    fusion 0260 catalogue.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 690
  • Fusion 0260 browning fork.jpg
    Fusion 0260 browning fork.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 688
Re:

1992 Redline Platinum BMX

Attachments

• 1992 redline catalogue pic.JPG
    1992 redline catalogue pic.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 683
  • 1992 redline platinum.jpg
    1992 redline platinum.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 682
  • 1992 redline platinum 3.jpg
    1992 redline platinum 3.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 682
  • 1992 redline platinum 2.jpg
    1992 redline platinum 2.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 682
  • 1992 redline platinum text.JPG
    1992 redline platinum text.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 682
Nice research mate :) Love that Psyclone :cool:

I remember saving the picture of the GT from the eBay for prosperity, had the choice of bidding for this or one of the many Trimble frames that came along at the same time.... I really wanted a Trimble but wish I'd gone for the GT in the long run.

Ah well

Re:

Bars look superb & frames coming along nicely. Seeing that Redline has just sent me right back to reading the catalouge whilst my pal with money um'd & ar'd about what he was buying in Hot wheels of Bournemouth!

raidan73":20tr7xh4 said:
Nice research mate :) Love that Psyclone :cool:

Cheers Adrian - Yeah, that Psyclone does look :cool:

retrobikeguy":20tr7xh4 said:
I remember saving the picture of the GT from the eBay for prosperity, had the choice of bidding for this or one of the many Trimble frames that came along at the same time.... I really wanted a Trimble but wish I'd gone for the GT in the long run.

Ah well

I bet the Psyclone is a one - off so would make it very special. Can't blame you for being distracted by a Trimble though, that's another one i'd like to own at some point.

MR OX":20tr7xh4 said:
Bars look superb & frames coming along nicely. Seeing that Redline has just sent me right back to reading the catalouge whilst my pal with money um'd & ar'd about what he was buying in Hot wheels of Bournemouth!

I only ever saw that brown E-stay Redline MTB they did.... I remember Get Pedall'in Colchester selling them. Never saw any of the Browning suspension forked bikes in the line up though..especially the MTB version they mention.
Bit more progress on bars and frame....

Here's some pics.

Attachments

• pm prepaint4.jpg
    pm prepaint4.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 564
  • pm prepaint3.jpg
    pm prepaint3.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 564
  • pm prepaint2.jpg
    pm prepaint2.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 564
  • pm prepaint1.jpg
    pm prepaint1.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 564
Re:

So.... slight problem! :?

Painted this before I went on Holiday to ensure paint was thoroughly dry before apply decals.

Knocked frame over whilst not paying attention and chipped paint on head tube and top tube. :evil: :evil:

Here's where the problem lies.... repainting is no problem but decided to try a test decal to test colour match to paint. The fluorescent orange I've chosen is orange enough.... but as I feared, too orange!! It's more like the 'Eldridge grade orange' than the 'Pine Mountain orange'.

Any suggestions for an off the shelf rattle can orange that isn't as dark as the current one?

Does such a thing as a 'lighter' Neon orange exist? - I tried to find the nearest match to what was beneath the black as the exposed orange was heavily sun faded but think this could have been the wrong decision.

I could go Volkswagen 'brilliant orange' but unsure as this may look 'flat' against a neon.

Obviously I'll have to repaint the bars too to match :facepalm:

Any advice welcome.

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• PM paint3.jpg
    PM paint3.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 567
  • PM paint2.jpg
    PM paint2.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 567
  • PM paint1.jpg
    PM paint1.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 567
Re:

I think it looks fine as it is Ben. The Eldridge was basically red so think you are closer to the Pine. Certainly looks similar to the orange on my old 1990 PM.

Latest posts

Back