Kona Kapu 1994 - pastures new

Re:

My recommendation would be to replace the drive train entirely: cassette, chain rings and chain. Whilst tricky to find most of the Veloce stuff can be sourced. Chain wise a new 8 speed will be fine.

Re: Kona Kapu 1994 - ace (P:cool:

Great thread, kudos on the effort you went to to source and build this.
I picked up my 98 Kapu around 6 years ago and am unlikely to part with it. Indeed, with each passing year I get more & more compliments from cycling passers-by whom appreciate the 'neo-retro' looks. I guess with the saturation of carbon in road cycling in recent years, the sorted steel frames are now taking on a real aesthetic appeal.

Ride just great don't they.

KeepItSteel":1dlyt01a said:
Ride just great don't they.

They do. The only thing that keeps me back using it more are the ratios. It's a knee and chain breaker on anything steeper than 12% which rules out much of the downs. It does need some alignment TLC which is next years project; the rear has a notable wobble when you put the power down.

That all said, I still hanker for the 1997 model...

canx2k":1dlyt01a said:
for anyone who cares, I have 3d printed g-spring carriers (the notoriously snappy ones) done in steel. I've been riding them for a year now and no issues whatsoever.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/E9URM ... arketplace

Nice! But there's no way I'm going near that funkin' hub again :LOL:

That was a really great thread, a very entertaining read, hat suitably doffed on your perseverance and it must make you smile every time you ride it.

But the main thing I learned from this thread is what those strange looking springy coat hangery things in Camapg bags are that I'm sure I've still got in a bits box somewhere. I'm sure they pre date cassettes and must have originally been for putting together old screw on freewheels because I'm sure I've had them since the late 80's at least. I'll be looking through every box in the garage now trying to find the bloody things and more annoyingly I'm not sure I'm happy to know I had the proper tool all along when I'd been putting these things back together. If I can find the little springy blighters I'm going to take a back wheel apart and put it back together just because I can now.

Any way great work and keep on enjoying your bike.

I was talking about the freehub pawl tool from page 4

allenh":14oqh9k1 said:
I was talking about the freehub pawl tool from page 4

As was I lol

Looks like I got my crappy Italian durability issues mixed up.

Knew I had some. Why I need this many I don't know but I suppose it proves the merit of not throwing stuff away if you don't know what it is.

Attachments

• DSCF3061.JPG
    DSCF3061.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 890
Back