Roberts D.O.G.S B.O.L.X. she is finished

blue2256

Retro Guru
Hello
Many years ago I rode a Roberts DB and loved it, It was a very high end spec newer bike and a joy to ride.
So the hunt was on. ;)
Around two years of searching one came up on the bay and started to bid, but like most others soon came out of my price range. :cry:
A day or so after losing out I sent the Ebayer a message, five day later I was the owner of one 1995 red Roberts D.O.G.S.B.O.L.X happy days. :D

Over the following weeks of stripping and cleaning, bit by bit finding all the problem, the wear, in some cases just the abuse however the frame was straight. Chipped, repainted at some point but straight however the famous logos were gone!

After riding her for a couple of months and selling some of my other bikes the funds were together to get the frame stripped and resprayed with all the logos ect put back in place.

The opportunity of deep cleaning all the running gear, brake system rims, in fact all the parts was on. Finding replacement parts was a challenge and sometime an expensive option. As I'm sure many people have do and will continue to do, once you have paid for the item you wanted as if by magic or whatever the same but a better condition version turns up on a listing as half the price !!! :facepalm: :facepalm:

Well all has been done now, the frame has been resprayed, all logos have been added, the front forks have been rebuilt and resprayed, all new old parts have been added and she rides like a dream so so happy.

Would like to change the brake / gearchange units at some point so if you have are you see something which would fit give me a message

Now it time to ride and enjoy
Hope you like the photos more to follow.
One other item, Wife asking if I should insure the bike ...just in case but what should I insure her for and is there any insurance company's you know which would give you what it is to build one. Not sure on that one may be should be on a different topic.
So happy riding now
Thanks for looking

Attachments

• compressed side bolx.jpg
    compressed side bolx.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,359
  • compressed side bolx naked.jpg
    compressed side bolx naked.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,359
  • compressed side bolx new.jpg
    compressed side bolx new.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,359
  • compressed forks.jpg
    compressed forks.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,359
  • compressed new forks.jpg
    compressed new forks.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,359
  • Compressed Stem old.jpg
    Compressed Stem old.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,359
  • Compressed Stem new.jpg
    Compressed Stem new.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,359
  • Compressed build 1.jpg
    Compressed build 1.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,359
Re: More photos

so some more to look at

Attachments

• Compressed build 2.jpg
    Compressed build 2.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,350
  • Compressed build 3.jpg
    Compressed build 3.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,350
  • with wheels.jpg
    with wheels.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 1,350
  • Compressed build 5.jpg
    Compressed build 5.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 1,351
  • complete beach 1.jpg
    complete beach 1.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 1,351
  • complete beach 2.jpg
    complete beach 2.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 1,351
Re:

lovely, lovely job on the paintwork mate - was it Argos?

looks just stunning in the blue, makes a change from the usual white. Stem also look tidy. Nice job.

just a personal thing for me are the V brakes, i think if you have a canti bridge on a frame you need to use it really. Only my preference mind, so feel free to ignore. Do the brake levers work with the vs okay?

Amberwall tyres would set this off.

anyway, lovely bike well done!

Re:

Lovely colour way, and nice to see the D.O.G.S B.O.L.O.X utilised on the horseshoe again, Havent seen that in quite a while. :cool:

Re: Re:

xxnick1975":18ilau9x said:
lovely, lovely job on the paintwork mate - was it Argos?

looks just stunning in the blue, makes a change from the usual white. Stem also look tidy. Nice job.

just a personal thing for me are the V brakes, i think if you have a canti bridge on a frame you need to use it really. Only my preference mind, so feel free to ignore. Do the brake levers work with the vs okay?

Amberwall tyres would set this off.

anyway, lovely bike well done!

Each to there own, but gotta agree with the V Brakes and Amberwalls, Some cool reissue Panaracer smokes, and either XTR cantis, or some Trick Marinovative etc would just tip the balance for me.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/like/15186795093 ... rmvSB=true

now you cant buy them anymore, I would insure for £1500+.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Hi
Thanks for the comments, I like the idea of the Amberwalls and may be a change of brake system using the canti bridge. I was going to get it removed but decided not to as when its gone its gone.
The gear changers and brake handle are the first thing I will change but need to wait for something interesting to replace the ones I have. Always up for suggestions or advise.

The paint was done by Argos and a great job. Some small problems, some pits in the paint finish,and more I could go into but overall a great job. I would use them again. The design in pen I placed onto the frame before sending to Argos was correctly done, Were I wanted black to flow into the turquoise blue a long the chain stay as well as all the logos including on the wishbone was do to a T so all in all Happy.
It going out for a long ride on Saturday to introduce the DB back to the mud, slops and fun around the south downs. Lets hope not to many accident.
My put up some photos of her dirty !! That what she was built for

Re:

That's a lovely job, well done! :cool:

Bet you can't wait to try it off-road! Whereabouts on the South Downs are you? I'm a local 'round these parts!

Mike

Back