Non-retro gear drivetrain advice please

What have I started :LOL:

OK guys, after consulting the wise sage that is Sheldon Brown I gave this a go, turns out my XT cassette is a 11-30T after all. Mr Brown said it should work. Changed all the bits round went for a spin up the road and back works lovely. Crisp shifting and not noticable jockey wheel rub on the largest sprocket. Spent the next 2 hours worrying have I done the right thing, then changed it all back again to the original spec. :LOL: :cry: :LOL: :cry:

one-eyed_jim":j1z1ykyk said:
[ But anyone who wants to know the official, straight-down-the-line Shimano spec can go to the Shimano website and read it off a chart.

Within the context of the original posting, I was of the impression that the user is fairly new to bike fettling and - let's face it - finding your way round the Shimano web site isn't particularly non-bike-shop-employee friendly.

My take on the original question is that REKI seems to be fairly new to this and wanted to use this combination for an important ride, at short notice. Any "fettled" combos really need to be run in for a bit beforehand, to be on the safe side, unless you really know what you are doing.

one-eyed_jim":j1z1ykyk said:
If we'd all followed Shimano spec, we'd never have found the hidden click in our XT thumbshifters or put Ultegra freehub bodies on our XT hubs.

As if anyone would be daft enough to ever try something that. :oops:
(you peeked at the photos of my Dynatech MT3 didn't you. Oh bugger - don't tell my boss.)

dbmtb":3jf3jhiv said:
I was of the impression that the user is fairly new to bike fettling

Done more than my fair share of fettling over the years but unfamiliar with road bike set ups. All sorted for now, got up Ditchling Beacon with the 39t-23t combo, hard work for sure but very rewarding when you reach the top.

Back