What a f*ck up indeed!

I've done this myself with a Deore XT hub - quickly cut all the spokes out. Then got the spanner and cassette lockring tool to remove the cassette and had a "ah....that was not clever" moment. Ended up putting the handle of the chain whip in the bench vice and with a faff got the lockring off. Live and learn.

Do recall that some sprockets on the Maillard freewheels could unscrew.

Ian Raleigh":1tmvlqfh said:
NeilM":1tmvlqfh said:
I am currently searching for an old steel rim in order to use Keith's trick of the trade.
Stop a passing scrapman! I'm sure he'll have the odd steel wheel, then just borrow a wheel for an hour,
then tell the scrappie to call back later for the knackered rim.....lol
Nice idea, the only worry is the scrappie will spot what I have in the garage, and want to take the lot!

Wish I'd taken pics of some horrible botched repairs by customers bitd. It would have made a funny thread :LOL:

Cotter pins were always a good one and truing wheels by driving a car over the rims... Priceless !!

Hammer and mole grips to the rescue...

Another approach which I have used is to thread one spoke through, then twist the end into a loop. Mount the hub in a workmate's wooden jaws with perhaps a little padding, then use a fat screw or bolt to secure the free end of the spoke out tight. The hub will rotate a bit as you start to tension up and undo the freewheel, but in the end the spoke will go tight and the freewheel come off. You need plenty of twists on the end of the spoke and a good hefty screw or bolt - the tension is BIG!

I´ve said it before, but it needs repeating, if you buy a Oil filter wrench of the belt type you can get a freewheel off without hassle, just mount the freewheel tool in a vice, strap the belt wrench around the hub, and it will come off easily.

Remove the sprockets, then using a Dremell with a cuting disc, carefully cut through the back of the body, as the thread is only about 1/2 inch long, and if you put the body in the vice use a car oil filter tool to undo the freewheel body..

Back