2013-09-08 - Ochils Aftermath

Re: Sunday 8th September - Ochils Hills tour and exploration

DSC_0595.NEF.jpg

Coming up out of Ochil Hills Woodland Park, first steep climb of the day, although in about 20 minutes it would feel like Holland

DSC_0597.jpg

DSC_0599.jpg

So near...

DSC_0601.jpg

And yet...

DSC_0602.jpg

So far!

DSC_0604.NEF.jpg

Up above Tillicoultry golf course, calm before the climb

DSC_0609.NEF.jpg

DSC_0612.jpg

Clubby's wheelie - under control, and underwhelming

DSC_0615.NEF.jpg

Beginning to gain some height, the lower part of climb was miserable because it was so bloody loose. Longannet kills more Scandinavian forests in the background

DSC_0619.NEF.jpg

Kaiser making mikee proud

DSC_0622.NEF.jpg

DSC_0623.NEF.jpg

Kincardine Bridges in the background

DSC_0626.NEF.jpg

DSC_0628.NEF.jpg

Christ, how much further?

DSC_0636.NEF.jpg

Top of Ben Cleuch. A couple of OAP ramblers are just out of shot supporting my wasted legs

DSC_0646.NEF.jpg

DSC_0650.NEF.jpg

DSC_0653.NEF.jpg

Views were spectacular. You could see the Firths of the Clyde and the Forth

DSC_0659.NEF.jpg

DSC_0663.NEF.jpg

On top of King's Seat Hill, with The Law, Ben Cleuch and Andrew Gannel Hill in the background

DSC_0668.NEF.jpg

DSC_0671.NEF.jpg

Yes that is Loch Leven and Lomonds top left

Whit the feck was Keith doin? Goin for a emergency dump? :LOL:

kaiser":udw36gfd said:
keithyr":udw36gfd said:
Shattered after that. Bit gutted at my lack of fitness to be honest. How did you lads get on?

That was a tough bit of climbing! It was at the end less than half though! Its was pretty good all in I reckon, we both said we probably wouldn't be rushing back though. If the ride was the first climb up to Ben Buck then back down into Tillicoutry it would probably be just a as good, addign the other two hills never really added much to the ride. The rest was fairly straight forward but we did get lost at the end. And I won the car park dash :p Cannae thank you all enough though for bailing me out with the bike and I know it had a knock on effect on your day, big load of good karma going out to you three! I've some pics uploading and I'll post them as soon as. :D

I actually quite enjoyed the initial climb once we got past the switchbacks and loose surface at the bottom. Just a question of putting your head down, and spinning at a speed you can maintain. We did walk a fair bit of it - the push up to King's Seat was a real low point for me, back of left ankle and the ball of my right foot felt like they were on fire. I think the descent down Mill Glen might have been a good alternative, cutting out that horrible final hike-a-bike climb, although the path did look narrow.

I did like the back of beyond feeling at the top of Ben Buck, really could have been anywhere. Once the landrover track run out, it was a mix of marshy and rutted, grassy track. K made the point that a lot of it wasn't firm enough to really inspire confidence and let you get some decent speed up. There really weren't any 'weeeeeeeee' sections where it felt like it all came together. Such a shame, because the views as we moved between the hilltops were fantastic.

Shame about K's exploding rear mech too - the ride up until that point had been really good - the short riverside trail was spot on. The detour across the barred unsafe bridge and then pushing Chiefy back along the cycle path to Dollar to pick up Keith's spare bike was a hoot and a half, with unlucky Clubby taking a tumble when his bars tangled with Ks. (luckily the nettles broke his fall).

Sounds and looks like a typical MacRetro day out :xmas-cool:

The views were amazing, but have to agree with ZZ. Heading back to way Keith and I did, you couldn't let off the brakes because it was so steep and loose. The descent through Wood Hill Woods was great though. Could be a great bit to explore at some point in the future.
Wouldn't be in a hurry to rush round that loop again, but the banter made it a good laugh.

Back