Raleigh Record Sprint - a retrobike story

A lot of nice machines in here but that one brought back some memories. I remember the Raleigh catalogue of the time had it in. I finally went for the Eclipse 'cause the Record was just too expensive for me at the time but in a sense it made the Record even more special that I did not own it: that was a machine I could only wish for. :LOL:

Thanks Jamie, on to the next one!

I remember the Record Sprint being pricey, took a lot of saving from my paper round to get one!

I seem to recall paying about £220, but time can do strange things to ther memory bank...

Still, i'm glad I did it and I have really enjoyed the whole project. I have been told you can pick Record Sprints up quite cheaply, a friend of mine saw ne go for £26 recently. This model is the later version sans gold bling, although the earlier Suntour and silstar gear is nicer than the later Suntour parts that would have come with this model. I have the earlier chainset on this build, which I consider to be a lovely looking bit of kit :)

Record

I love the Record!!!!!!!
My first racing bike, which served me well and want one again.
My parents bought me one and I joined the local cycling club and did a weekly time trail on the machine.

It's funny that this thread has been bumped up, as I have been thinking about doing a bit more to the Record Sprint, I've been using one of my mountain bikes for commuting because of the miserable conditions.

I will update the thread as / when I get on with it!

thats lovely that is! i had one exactly the same (although yours is a lot better clip than mine). mines become a single speed winter hack now, but i still love it. I did many audax events and a few time trials on mine, loved it.

I've just been offered one of these but with gold sachs hurret parts on - £60

But needs a new cassette and chain, is it true these are ard to get hold of? Apparently it's a 6 speed slot on? Never heard of that before?

£60 a good price with this in mind?

Hi, welcome to Retrobike! Great user name, I'm suprised it was still available.

You could place a thread in the road wanted section, this will alert the people on here to your search...

Best of luck!

Back