Retro hope hub vs deore modern

Neither had I. Its not as hard as you might think, especially if you aren't making it straight and round, just roughly.

secret_squirrel":2rpu1kgi said:
Never laced a wheel in my life :)

If you can start with a none disc front wheel, I find them slightly easier to lace.

FluffyChicken":2rpu1kgi said:
Modern hubs have a shorter and smoother ratchet period. No idea if the new Deore are included in this
Hope look better
Hope are probably lighter or as light.

To be honest I don't know the Deore, just the XT.

Modern XT hubs still have cup and cone bearings mind

It's not actually that hard to make wheels straight and round (at least assuming non-disk front - no dishing) - if you put all the spokes in loose then go around and progressively tighten them the truing usually sorts itself out, at least in my experience (a good tip here: use an electric screwdriver, it's why nipples are slotted on the back).

Only built 4 wheels since getting back to riding and the one thing I seem to have forgotten is how to get the bloody valve hole in the right place!

Rob H":1rj5rytw said:
secret_squirrel":1rj5rytw said:
Never laced a wheel in my life :)

If you can start with a none disc front wheel, I find them slightly easier to lace.

FluffyChicken":1rj5rytw said:
Modern hubs have a shorter and smoother ratchet period. No idea if the new Deore are included in this
Hope look better
Hope are probably lighter or as light.

To be honest I don't know the Deore, just the XT.

Modern XT hubs still have cup and cone bearings mind

Absolutely nothing wrong with cup/cone bearings. They give smoother wheels in my opinion and better adjustment on the bearing load than cartridge bearings than you do in the Hopes (I.e. none)

The only downside is people don't look after them so 20 years on the races are battered. If looked after they are still loverly.

Cartridge bearing came about ason mass as they is cheap way for the CNCers to make a hub. Only a few of the top end users e.g. Suntour and Mavic added adjustment on the load for their hubs.

Only Hope flange I ever had crack on me was hugely overtensioned.

Still have my original Ti front hub from the very first production batch and that's just dandy....

Back