A retrobike epiphany

I understand where your coming from,i've got the two splatter paint explosifs i've always wanted which leaves the 1991 Explosif i built set for the for sale section on here ( it's nowhere near as good as the original Explosif ) I've now got a Zaskar from the year i always wanted and my mule 93 lavadome which i've had since new will never be sold,to many good memory's. After that all i'd like is a 92/93 Hei Hei and maybe an original Pace and maybe another Dave Yates aswell (you get the picture lol ) it's never ending!!!

makster":2mbf1iid said:
I can't remember what thread it was on, but someone had commented that it's better to have one bike that you really appreciate than a bunch that you don't get that excited over.
It really struck a cord with me and got me thinking about what bikes I have, and which ones I really enjoy.
It's lead me to a decision to sell pretty much all of my retro bikes, and simply build up one bike exactly as I want it.
So, the clear-out has begun!
The bike I'm going to build will be a 1988 Overbury's Pioneer, exactly how I'd have specced it had I had the cash in 1988 :D

I've heard it said, several times, but it's never resonated with me.

I see bikes, like other things I may enjoy / obsess about, as hobbies, as something I use. I've no desire to overshoot my talent for something and aim for some elite bit of kit, that may well delight, but may only have marginal, step improvements over what I've got.

Bikes weren't something I lusted after, more things I appreciate / appreciated. I appreciate decent ones. They don't have to be rare, they don't have to be exclusive.

All that said, I've no desire to be a serial collector / builder - but I like a small number of bikes to have some variety and redundancy. If I was going to aspire to more, it would be ride them more.

But they're not art for me, and elite kit leaves me a bit meh, really. I'm sure it's all very fine, but so long as the stuff I've got is decent enough quality, that'll serve me just fine. I'm probably a product of the time I grew up, but elite kit, and elite bikes, were for cyclists that could perform at that level.

Came to a similar conclusion a while back. I was forced in to a cull because I had no money and no space. As much as I didn't want to sell at the time I can honestly say I've not missed much of what went. Add to this the fact that my local chums have lost interest in the retro gear means I have no real desire to buy every old bike that catches my eye and don't spend every spare moment scanning the fs section here + ebay even though I now have the space and have a bit more cash spare.

I've got a retro frame hanging in the garage but can't really be bothered to start the project. For me it's now all about waiting for the original, unrestored and not repainted bikes that I have an interest in and keeping the numbers low.

Neil":2iustod8 said:
I'm probably a product of the time I grew up, but elite kit, and elite bikes, were for cyclists that could perform at that level.

Doesn't work that way.

Great guitars sound great, regardless of your ability.

Great bikes ride well, regardless of your ability.

The only important question is whether you should be spending your money on them.

If you are not neglecting other needs then hell yeah!

highlandsflyer":3ne2uvnc said:
Neil":3ne2uvnc said:
I'm probably a product of the time I grew up, but elite kit, and elite bikes, were for cyclists that could perform at that level.

Doesn't work that way.

Great guitars sound great, regardless of your ability.

Great bikes ride well, regardless of your ability.

The only important question is whether you should be spending your money on them.

If you are not neglecting other needs then hell yeah!

....Hmm so how about an F1 car diven by Mr Bean??

Or a pair of super fly running shoes, worn by Boris Johnson??

It'll never last. I give it 6 months until something shiny catches the eye of Mr Makster.

You do know there is no escape, don't you? ;-)

I have solved the issue by doing a bike (my DMR) which is fighting me every step of the way. So frustrating I have to walk away from it before I break it!

And what will you ride when it's broken, or in bits for servicing, or need to ride on the road, or go on a tour, or commute on?

"Just when I thought I was out, you pull me back in!"

What about if your not into originality just having two or three that work really well for different jobs? Bit like guitars. (Mex bodies with custom shop pickups for example)

Back