Kona - Explosif 1997

Oh I got the spare part for my forks in the post yesterday (don't tell Andy as he'll be wanting money for it ;))
Just got to build them up and get it all together again.
:D

FluffyChicken":2y952c12 said:
Thought I'd update with a picture as it was 5/5/10, before I serviced and snapped a part in the forks.
Seat is now a Flite,
Rear mech has changed to an STX-RC mech. with XT jockey are (makes it the same weight as XT) and the chains shorter

Just so I know where I got too
P1020650.JPG

P1020644.JPG

a great bike and a great pic by the way ......awesum.... :cool:

Well thought I'd add finished pics from a few weeks back as ridden now

and since I've just weighed it accurately at last.

24.04lb
Soon to alter the chainrings to a full set of Middleburn SS's so I have a granny gear at last :)

Seem to have lost the better pics so these will do ;)

P1030476.JPG

P1030478.JPG

Oh well, since this has been moved up the ranks from Allotment bike to Best bike
So today its had a service, I'm typing more for my benefit so I know when I did this :LOL:

I've serviced the forks (they still have a topout clunk, might have to slip some thin rubber stop in the damper setup above the top out spring. I assuming it is that, it only happens in one leg.
At least I know it's not anything terminal.

The hairline cracks on the from hope suspension hub (developed a few years ago) seem to be holding up so doing well there.

Knackered RaceFace Signature FreeRide bottom bracket (my fault not looking after it) has been switched for a bodged together RaceFace Signature Ti one site lacks it's stop and seals :oops:, (a RaceFace ISIS Turbine LP Silver chainset replaced the Shimano also a few years ago).

Lower headset bearing flushed and regreased. Need to replace at some point

Rear Shimano M770 hub serviced, still sounds a bit rough.

Chain rusty, must lube when being left all winter.

Need to take the decals of and get the nicer earlier decals put on.

Weighs in at 24.3lb with current setup

But as it's best it has to go below 24lb, so some posher tyres (have Evo Ron on rear and a performance Ralph on front)
Could do with 2.1/2.0 on the rear anyway as 2.25 is pushing it a bit

Fit an M952 rear mech, but it's not silver :( but hopefully a fraction lighter and should work a bit better but a millisecond in shifting the the franken STX-RC with XT pulley cage and Ti hanger bolt)

Might try a 10mm shorter stem, remove some spacers to drop it a bit and chop the steerer down.

Switch to a Syncros Seatpost (even though I prefer the silver posts)

Switch to DB spokes on the front (currently PG) and replace with a new Hope hub (silver)

---
Chances of all of this or even a bit of this actually happening within the next year.... ?

even worse as I don't use the added canti hanger :LOL:

It all held together today. Even my half put together ISIS bottom bracket (its not got one side of the seals and metal crank stop that actually hold a bearing in position)

It rides like a big comfy sofa :D

Re:

It's hard to know fork height in order to don't modify the original geometry. I am facing now Sid carbon vbrake fork modifications on real travel to achieve the original geometry, I guess reducing from 100mm to 80mm will be enough...

Back