The bike locking rears its ugly head again....

I'd go for a low level kona or saracen, remove anything shinee, remove all the decals to make it look jo public then just use it with one d lock. You do have some level of defence with the gated parking area

Yeah, ride a sh!theap to work, that'll show 'em! :LOL:
I can't ever understand why anyone would want to commute on a 'POS' bike. Commuting can be tiring/miserable enough without hating the very thing you're sat on.
At the end of a long day at work, it's nice to ride home on a nicely-dialled fast bike. It doesn't need to be worth four grand.
I probably spent more money (and did far more research on) upgrading my bike when I commuted than at any other time, and remained careful about where I locked it up, hence it never got nicked.

Favourite D-Lock for me is the Abus Granit Futura. Light, very tough and they do a very useful long-shackle version.
I wear it on my belt, messenger-style. I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to tell me how dangerous that is.

Locks_zpsa136140d.jpg

I dont think the origional OP wants to change his bike? as he says its got a nice paint job, so in my eyes must be a nice bike. So id say as said above get some heavy duty lock/s and leave at work D lock with a 1.8m cable that locks your bits n pieces up too?

N/B":13tgsl82 said:
Yeah, ride a sh!theap to work, that'll show 'em! :LOL:
I can't ever understand why anyone would want to commute on a 'POS' bike. Commuting can be tiring/miserable enough without hating the very thing you're sat on.
At the end of a long day at work, it's nice to ride home on a nicely-dialled fast bike. It doesn't need to be worth four grand.

Nothing more fun than a nicely-dialled fast bike that looks like a POS. Best of both worlds really.

when I tie my dogs up into my bike, no one even thinks about going near it. Not practical for commuting though. Several D Locks and cables/chains. A couple of minutes twice a day isn't much. Given it is a secure car park that should be enough to make it an unattractive proposition.

I use one of these:

1F232695-6F20-4FBE-9EBB-5CB71E02BFFB-3801-0000051D5C741E8B_zps0d9cdd1f.jpg

It's heavy but if you're regularly commuting then it doesn't matter, just leave it there. The method I use is to "fill" the lock i.e., take the front wheel off and put it by the rear and lock everything to the frame and whatever you're locking it to. Simples.

Build a rat bike(quality bits but tatty as hell)
As long as the seat and wheels are bolted into place and you dont leave any lights on it it should be alright with a long winds through the frame/wheels type lock.

A bike plus lock always weighs about 20kg / 45lbs. Either a nice bike and huge locks, or a nasty bike and basic chain.

Leave the lock at work, and buy a decent but basic bike. Go for well-sealed hubs and a basic 7 or 8 speed transmission. Steel chainrings are your friends as they last forever.

Latest posts

Back