Degreaser Query and Freewheel Quandry

I didn't know that, perhaps older freewheels have a little more noise than new ones. This is a Maillard Helicomatic freewheel and must be 25 years old at least. It always made a noise but this is a bit odd.

Thanks

Just thought I should warn you though if you do go with the "Gunk Green" remember even though it is an Eco Friendly version it is still a very strong chemical so I wouldn't go leaving any shiny alloy components soaking away overnight as it will attack the finish.

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=66612

A quick dip, swirl around for a minute and brush off along with soap water rinse is more than enough. Also I water some down in a 50/50 solution and use as a 'spray on' in an Auto Pressure Sprayer in very small amounts

http://tinyurl.com/a734nl7 (although I'd try not to use Amazon but a smaller local, independent hardware store )

But I make sure I'm in middle of patio away from bugs, plants and beds :S

bagpuss":uvyskwqm said:
Petrol is to searching on chains.It removes all the oil from the pins causing a dry chain imho

I'll only degrease winter chains around every 250-300 miles (depending how grimy the chain actually is). After washing off in hot soapy water I dry the chains off in the oven for 15 mins, then while still warm, I apply a thick winter lube like the finish line wet so it easily seeps inside the chain and with gloves on work it into the links for a couple of minutes.

A bit excessive for some maybe, but in the long run I'm pretty sure I avoid prematurely wearing out chains and cassettes.

Thanks for that link, i was unaware of the dangers of Gunk. I notice the last post mentioned the citrus degreaser, i wonder would it have the same potential for causing damage?

It seems to be a balance between using the spray degreaser and cleaning shortly afterwards or using something milder than Gunk for a longer soak.

I should add, i used the spray degreaser on the freewheel and then washed it out with water. I then oiled it with light oil using a precision oiler (thanks Ian). I removed a lot of old oily muck from inside the freewheel, perhaps this was keeping it quiet and albelit it was 'oily muck' is was still oil which would provide lubrication and protection to some extent.

Thanks again!

The gunk is strong stuff so there is no real need to soak for any longer than a minute or two. As soon as I take a brush to a dipped cassette or chain the oily grime just falls off. It's pretty good stuff tbh and as said you can also dilute it if using as a spray.

I used the old Gunk ages ago to clean a Raleigh moped - i think the original tin is still at my parent's house. Maybe time to retrieve it!!!

Thanks for the advice, i will be careful!!!

Back