Retrobikes or Retrobikers? Long post, please read

Will, you were out today????? You must have missed the snow or not noticed it!!!!! Enjoy your Bush, i am working so restricted to coffee!!!

To get back on topic - when you are young i think you tend to disregard the danger aspect on the roads, perhaps when you get older you do the same thing!! Only those of a certain age can answer that one, pointing no fingers at all ..... ^^^^^^^^^ :D

age??

WHAT SNOW, out yes..... none hereabouts...age is useful in traffic, the testosterone has dissipated,eyesight also, so showing off and dicing with metal metric tonne objects usually diminishes.. common sense usually increases with age , not always, wisdom too.. what does help is good well established bike control, knowing what your limits are and planning your ride on less busy roads , like where we are out in the sticks..we find women drivers esp young women are your worst drivers, speed , lack of care , lack of spacial awareness.. bigtime. older women in town are a disaster, changing lanes and cutting up others esp cyclists , but a good rattle hard on their roof sorts that out.. a friend recently was lifted speeding 35 in a 30 and had to attend a speed awareness course instead of 3pts and a fine.. of the 28 victims 18 were young women, 2 business men, 2 reps, 2 farmers, 4 other working men only one of these was a hat backwards type.. i rest my case your honor.. will

Re: age??

will911":2nistzq2 said:
.we find women drivers esp young women are your worst drivers, speed , lack of care , lack of spacial awareness.. bigtime. older women in town are a disaster, changing lanes and cutting up others esp cyclists

I'm not a sexist, just a hard working area manager covering 35,000 business miles a year (every year, for the last 30 years) and I could not agree more.

The worst: Women in silver 4 x 4 / people carriers.

Oh and anybody in an Audi ;)

sexist

Sexist...NOR am I.. just a battle scarred advanced driver who used to compete in rallyes and hillclimb fast cars.. i speak as i find and from hard won experience..the spacial awareness is by far the most serious as on country roads these females cannot tell whether they are 6'' away from a cyclists elbow or two field lengths!!! will.

audi drivers!!!

Ahem...TGR is an Audi man!!!!
plus 1 on the speed thing..likely why they end up being in the dock or the awareness course more than the rest of us mortals

Um, Audi driver here lol

I too attended a speed awareness course - got caught on the Frosses Road (like just about everyone on the course!!) The course had about 20 people on it - men - total 5. Ladies - total 15. I do not think that is any reflection on female drivers, or is it?

Funniest bit was at the start of the day when an older lady was helped into the room by her daughter, the instructor asked the daughter to leave her mother outside and the daughter explained that the older lady was actually the culprit - i laughed quite a bit at that.

She was over 80 and had been caught doing 43 in a 30 - going to choir practice - i kid you not!!! More giggling from me yet again. Then the best bit - the instructor asked about what music makes you go fast, when i said "Obviously choir music" the older lady turned round and gave me the ultimate dirty look!! More giggling from me, i thought i was going to get sworn at or struck by lightning - but as Manfred Mann said, God was on my side!!! LOL

Great day out and no points!!!! Except the downside - mu insurers now say it was a conviction and will load my premium next year - not happy - the course cost £87 with the obvious statement that you avoid a conviction and hence increased insurance premiums. I was sold a pup!!!

Re: audi drivers!!!

will911":3igjvkcb said:
Ahem...TGR is an Audi man!!!!

I'm sure there are one or two sane drivers in Audi's, but they have taken over the BMW mantle of popularity with drivers of a certain type.

Ironic really if you remember that they had an entire marketing campaign based on the fact that they did not attract 'that' sort of driver; does anyone else remember the adverts with the yuppie test driving an Audi?

audi ad

yes i do, i was working with Mercedes at that time,... bloody awful ad, most of the Yuppie city boys tried hard to be Porsche owners, there were more written off Porsche in the late 80's that any other powerful sports cars testimony to the fact that they are drivers cars, not for nonces, hard to drive those old raw air cooled ladys, you don't lift off on corners.. the current offerings, water cooled are a lot tamer these days and very practical as a daily driver, roads and traffic permitting..personally i can't relate my anger at any particular marque of vehicle... lets hope that the increase of cycle users will eventually lead the driving public to share the road more genially and to realise that its no problem to be held up for seconds .. thanks be to God that i don't have a cycle commute esp in a city environ..will

Back