Dating a Dawes Super Galaxy

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Does anyone know how to date a Dawes Super Galaxy frame, and I don't mean take it out for a meal :) I'm assuming it's a mid 90's frame, also what size seatpost it might take, it is either a 26.6 or 26.8 not sure as I only have a 26.4 to try and that's too loose. The number on the bottom is 0323?8 the missing number is covered with the cable guides and I cannot get that off, could be 8, 0 or 9

Some pics

DawesGalaxy4.jpg

DawesGalaxy3.jpg

DawesGalaxy2.jpg

DawesGalaxy.jpg

Thanks

Alison

At a guess I'd say it's early to mid-90s. But the best way to date it might be to look for contemporary Dawes catalogues online - I only established that my Galaxy is a 1976 model when I saw the exact same bike in a 1976 Dawes catalogue.

Also, try the CTC forum - Galaxies and Super Galaxies are popular on there.

According to the CTC site it's around the early noughties, would you believe it 1" threaded headsets that late in their making

Alison

I was about to say 1998-2001. I can't be sure of the exact date, but those decals were current during that period. Dawes were fitting very nice TA Zephyr cranks to their touring bikes at that time.

Tourists tend to be among the most traditional of cyclists. It's no big surprise that they continued to use lugged steel frames and quill stems long after the racing crowd had let them fall. Even so, quill stems were pretty common in the pro peloton in the late nineties.

one-eyed_jim":3bnhqhs3 said:
I was about to say 1998-2001. I can't be sure of the exact date, but those decals were current during that period. Dawes were fitting very nice TA Zephyr cranks to their touring bikes at that time.

Tourists tend to be among the most traditional of cyclists. It's no big surprise that they continued to use lugged steel frames and quill stems long after the racing crowd had let them fall. Even so, quill stems were pretty common in the pro peloton in the late nineties.

How on earth did they get a really good headset for them, we've used the old XT one from the Arthur Caygill and I cannot remember where I got that from.

Alison

Isaac_AG":emeodyi9 said:
How on earth did they get a really good headset for them, we've used the old XT one from the Arthur Caygill and I cannot remember where I got that from.
There were still plenty around in those days. Shimano made Dura Ace, Ultegra and 105. Campag Record and Chorus were available. Stronglight made a number of models. Tange still made their old favourites. I don't recall which model Dawes fitted.

I was able to buy a number of NOS XT 735 1" headsets in 2000 for £8 each from an advertiser in Cycling Weekly, so there was certainly stock around.

Latest posts

Back