'93 S-Works build thread

Wu-Tangled":3bwm25d0 said:
nah rebuild with nice new parts and keep the tatty old finish, as it's original. :cool:

then if it looks awful, paint it. ?

Not a bad idea Gus. I might try that!

just bought a rear hub, so that's sorted too now :D

got some Ritchey Logic cranks, shimano bottom bracket and cassette.

finally some work done to the frame. here's a before and after picture from the bracket damage:

7151770365_e53a625074.jpg

7151770931_c16e48b8c0.jpg

have to clean up the threads of the BB to see if the shells go in like they should. if not, have them re-threaded.

just need spokes and cables. Going for grey cables, should go well with the tires and grey decals I think.

as Gus sugested, I'm going to build it up and then see how the frame works in this 'patina' condition.

Hey man i have an extra Nitto s-works seat post in my stash... you need it?
It has been cut down a bit but still 300mm long! It needs a good pollish though...

I think you have to consider the refinishing of your frame very carefully.
The reason i say this is that we live in Holland which is quite humid. The S-Works has some of the thinnest steel tubes around and does not offer lot's of structural protection against rust. I suggest when you are really going to ride it to protect the inside with j.p. Weigles frame safer, and i would strongly advice you to have it refinished! The color can be matched pretty easily especially when you also have the fork and decals can easily be had on this forum.

About the finish i had an earlier bike wet painted by an expert here in Holland and that was pretty ok but three times as expensive as an expert powdercoat which i had done on my S-Works. I actually rate the powdercoat higher than the pro paint job! If you want i have a good address...

thanks allard!
I think the nos tioga will do for now, matches the nos handlebar perfectly.
I agree on the frame, the tubes are very thin and especially the chainstays can be rusty from the inside. I'll build the bike as is first, and see from there. This won't be a frequent rider, but I'd be very much interested in the addresses of good painters/powder coaters. I've seen powder in such different qualities, it's good to know were to go for nice results.

about the frame saver, does this stuff only protect, or also 'convert' rust? As it says it's made for new steel frame/forks.

The framesaver puts a coating on the inside of the tubes but since it is a very aggressive type of stuff it wouldn't surprise me when it dissolves the rust on the inside. You have to make sure the frame is very dry on the inside when you put it in so you do not trap any moisture in there...

thanks! any experience with Boeshield? seems a bit cheaper than Weigle's.

Latest posts

Back