Gavr's Oops! What was I thinking? Thread. Finished...

MCsanandreas":vt6s1vhw said:
hhmmm....never thought i would be interested in a "shopping" bike but i find myself drawn into this now!

I'd race you to the shops if only I had a front fork to finish the build :cry:

Erm HELLO!?

So I take a few weeks away from the forum and the first thing that crosses my mind upon my return is "I wonder how Gav's R20 came out" but whats this I find? An un-updated thread, I hope that it is only the thread that is not updated and the bike is being enjoyed as I type (19.35hrs on a dark, chilly Sunday evening).

So Gav whats going on? I hope you're not just waiting for me to sort out those dust caps to get it on the road! ;)

Tel":lm35r9o5 said:
Erm HELLO!?

So I take a few weeks away from the forum and the first thing that crosses my mind upon my return is "I wonder how Gav's R20 came out" but whats this I find? An un-updated thread, I hope that it is only the thread that is not updated and the bike is being enjoyed as I type (19.35hrs on a dark, chilly Sunday evening).

So Gav whats going on? I hope you're not just waiting for me to sort out those dust caps to get it on the road! ;)

Way hey, just paid the customs charge on the fork today. Hopefully with me later this week - at long, long last. All being well I should have a nice shiny chromed fork that will match perfectly and fit either 451 or 406 rims :D

and on a slow boat from China...

Might even have been worth the wait! Hopefully will get this finished at the weekend now

Attachments

• IMG_3440.jpg
    IMG_3440.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 493
Hooray!

Next time I'm in the lock up I'll have a hunt around for those dust caps, I think I know where they are (although its a rare occurrence when anything is where I think it is).

Tel":2nhrhcxg said:
Hooray!

Next time I'm in the lock up I'll have a hunt around for those dust caps, I think I know where they are (although its a rare occurrence when anything is where I think it is).

Great

Looks like the crown race seat is JIS 27.0 mm, not very Californian or even Taiwanese. Luckily I have a spare Shimano 600 headset the right size

Odd but glad you have one.

I had a rummage for those caps and despite not being where I thought they were I did find them.

PM me your address and I'll send them FOC as it's an honour to have them adorn this little beauty!

Tel":22hwdndx said:
Odd but glad you have one.

I had a rummage for those caps and despite not being where I thought they were I did find them.

PM me your address and I'll send them FOC as it's an honour to have them adorn this little beauty!

That's very kind, thanks a lot

Fork roughly fitted

Something much closer to complete. I still need to cut the steerer tube down by an inch or so. The JIS headset cups are a bit of a loose fit and require shimming or a bit of Loctite. The brake is a Paul motolite V with a Paul Reverse lever. The pump is a bit of a nod to the past. I could also be doing with a half link for the chain if anyone can help me out. Then a few adjustments, front mudguard, perhaps a tool roll, some bar tape and ready to test ride...

Attachments

• IMG_3443.jpg
    IMG_3443.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 1,231
  • IMG_3445.jpg
    IMG_3445.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 1,231
Oh, that is so good. It looks properly rapid -no small achievement given that my most recent Raleigh Twenty sighting was of a sturdy old lass pedalling sedately along with a load of shopping in the rear basket.

Back