2012 Time Trial Season

Managed a 28:45 on the Lavenham 10 course last night.

Times for that have so far been 32:41, 30:33, 29:00 and the above lastest times. Those times are in order too. Getting lose to time of people with pixies helmets and TT bikes now (within 30 seconds)

Carbon's cast asunder!

Not a time trial in the proper sense of the word, but just finished the Graham Obree Sportive today on my 753 Peugeot Perthus. Not 'quite' the oldest bike there, chatted to a guy on a Dawes who was ten years + older than me and said he bought it when he was 13!

Anyway, here's a tip, all the strong riders do the long course, leaving us retro-meister's to 'dominate' (ahem) the intermediate 48 miler. First hill and a couple of flash carbons were dispatched - people seem to hit the slightest incline and tap-tap-tap straight the way up the block and come to a virtual halt. I've only got six non-indexed gears so you've got no option but to push harder on the pedals. Another thing I noticed, you may lose all fitness, speed, youth etc. but one thing you don't lose is the ability to ride in a bunch and be a crafty bugger. I'd forgotten how much fun all that was.

On the back of the course I was surprised and delighted to be passing all manner of people, uphill and down. It means I'm not the slowest - can't believe it!! Mind you, lets put this into perspective, 3 hrs 10 mins is ok until you hear that the first guy back did it in 2 hr 20 - hey ho. Anyway, Perthus rode fantastically - so speedy and comfortable.

The Alan was out again tonight and shaved another 17 seconds (28:43 tonight) of my last time with this bike oon the Brent Eleigh course 8.4 miles.

Would have been a few seconds quicker if I had not uncliped as I started of and spent the next 5 -10 seconds rolling trying to clip in again.

The Alan was out again tonight and shaved another 17 seconds (22:43 tonight) of my last time with this bike on the Brent Eleigh course 8.4 miles.

Would have been a few seconds quicker if I had not uncliped as I started of and spent the next 5 -10 seconds rolling trying to clip in again.

I love this bike.

Rode the Yorkshire Velo 10 on the 'legendary' V718 course on the way to Hull this afternoon. The wind - according to the steam and smoke coming from the power station cooling towers - looked to be perfect, a light NE breeze, perfect for this course which goes east for 4.5 miles and back 5.5 miles. I was riding my 2007 Bianchi (so not very retro sadly) with tri-bars, the first time I'd ridden it in this configuration. Going out there was a slight headwind but I found I could get the bigger gears turning OK (53 x 14/15/16). Around the far-from-easy turn which has a nasty slip road to climb I struggled a bit and was anticipating a fast tailwind return once back on the main road - but it seemed just as hard. Perhaps it was because I was 'trying' as I was able to get the 13 in and also the 12 coming down to the finish. Basically turned myself inside-out and recorded 23-50, my fastest ride for donkeys years and only 13 secs outside my life-time best.

Going again next weekend - practice makes perfect - I hope ;)

Good to see some perseverance from you guys on the TT front and the times coming down. I was denied a ride on Saturday because my entry never turned up (sound familiar Old Ned?) so basically I'm finished now for this season save the Star Wheelers Hill Climb in October.

Old Ned: Fantastic ride, I wish I could get 13 seconds away from my PB! Looks like you had a good low tuck on the picture I found from the event. Good luck for the next event.

Mark.

That's the one, I didn't want to post a link - I thought it might be bad forum manners or something!

Still stunned and humbled by the fact you can get that close to your PB despite the odd year or two since you set it ;).

Mark.

daccordimark":2cub68ly said:
That's the one, I didn't want to post a link - I thought it might be bad forum manners or something!

Still stunned and humbled by the fact you can get that close to your PB despite the odd year or two since you set it ;).

Mark.

Thank you! It was actually 23 August 1984, almost 28 years ago!

A lot of water - and many other things! - under the bridge since then.

Mind you, I did have the advantages of tri-bars - but I was wearing a retro skin hat and track mitts just to maintain some sort of Old Skool decorum.

Given old neds performace I think I need to do more training. Last Thursday the Acton 8.4 mile course was up again. Bearing in mind my last ime was 24:11 I managed a 23:33. Still a headwind going out. Everythime that course is up its windy at least it was not wet this time.

Back