2012 Time Trial Season

bm0p700f":h6n30tw3 said:
Given old neds performace I think I need to do more training. Last Thursday the Acton 8.4 mile course was up again. Bearing in mind my last ime was 24:11 I managed a 23:33. Still a headwind going out. Everythime that course is up its windy at least it was not wet this time.

Training? Training?? I think I've heard that word before somewhere. Isn't it something that 'real racers' do?

I just practice riding my bike ;)

Good improvement though mate, keep plugging away. Aren't there any full distance 10's in your area?

As a newbie to road bikes, I have been rather taken by this thread and looked up local club TT's.

Two things struck me: First, it would appear I would need to invest thousands of pounds in a new bike and complete new cycling wardrobe. Second, it would also appear I would need to gain somewhere in the region of four to five stone in weight in order to generate an 'Aerobelly'.

Must be something to do with the cider and cheese down here I guess ;)

Yes that in two week time. By best time on that course is 28:45 down from 30:41. I am aiming to do a 28:00 in two weeks now I know the course and how hard I can push myself and still leave something for a sprint finish.

By training I also mean riding more. Next year I have a Trek 2300 (part carbon) to try TT on. That's my first carbon frame. It's modern machine for me and almost lightweight.

NeilM":1tba37fc said:
As a newbie to road bikes, I have been rather taken by this thread and looked up local club TT's.

Two things struck me: First, it would appear I would need to invest thousands of pounds in a new bike and complete new cycling wardrobe. Second, it would also appear I would need to gain somewhere in the region of four to five stone in weight in order to generate an 'Aerobelly'.

Must be something to do with the cider and cheese down here I guess ;)

Not in the slightest! All you need to do is ride a bike and record a time, you're riding against yourself to start with, not the potential winners. Unless of course, you are a powerful hidden talent with world beating undiscovered potential ;)

Look at the Cycling Time Trials website -

http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/

Hints and tips for beginners, lists of open events, lists of clubs etc.

Oh, and it's a 'power bulge' (mine is at least) not an 'aerobelly' - but I like the term :D

I do my TT on a 1981 Alan whih I put together for £400 and it not the fastest bike but I am not the fastest rider yet so it all fine.

Next year my TT will be a mid 90's trek and my nod to TT will more aero wheels. Again my budget is about £500 for this bike. You don't have to spend alot at all.

Thanks for the input guys, I was being just a tiny touch sarcastic about the bikes, but held back from the 'all the gear...' phrase.

"Power bulge", PMLS, I love it. We used to have those on cars, in order to cover the enormous power house of an engine. I'm afraid I'll have to do without, as at just over 6' 1" and now nudging 76 kg's (down from just over 80), I would have to do something pretty dramatic (like pregnancy) to add such... erm, power, to myself.

Talent? Erm, no, that'd be my son, but I do like to test myself and have competed in 'me against me' type sports a lot in the past.

I'll read the rules and guidelines, talk to some local clubs and see what's what for the 2013 season.

NeilM":2q45nvdf said:
Thanks for the input guys, I was being just a tiny touch sarcastic about the bikes, but held back from the 'all the gear...' phrase.

"Power bulge", PMLS, I love it. We used to have those on cars, in order to cover the enormous power house of an engine. I'm afraid I'll have to do without, as at just over 6' 1" and now nudging 76 kg's (down from just over 80), I would have to do something pretty dramatic (like pregnancy) to add such... erm, power, to myself.

Talent? Erm, no, that'd be my son, but I do like to test myself and have competed in 'me against me' type sports a lot in the past.

I'll read the rules and guidelines, talk to some local clubs and see what's what for the 2013 season.

Yeh, like all 1600cc of a Ford crossflow in a Capri.

Good luck with your enquiries for next year, I'm sure you'll find something local to you.

The last 10 of the season and I managed a 28:17 which is vast imporvement on the last time of 28:45.

Looking for to next year now.

bm0p700f":o9k8tkyh said:
The last 10 of the season and I managed a 28:17 which is vast imporvement on the last time of 28:45.

Looking for to next year now.

Good one, lots of miles over the winter now to give you a good base fitness for next year. I managed a 27.24 on our local course Wednesday which - as can be seen by the comparison with last Sunday! - is not the fastest one around! I've ridden 3 on it this year and improved each time by over a minute.

Back