Rocky Mountain Fusion Find

Thanks for the insights and warnings! I had no idea ):

Okay I guess I won't be doing any major trails with this bike. Poo. *shrug* Oh well - roads first, light XC. I'm good with that.

I took a closer look at the shocks. They are elastomer. Attached pic. So the bottom line then is that they are really squishy because of me. I've got a few lbs on me. So it looks like I'll have to go with a rigid fork until I can slough off some of this weight.

Live and learn and ride. And lose weight. That's why I'm here.

Attachments

• MA-1.jpg
    MA-1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 284
Quick update. I ordered the elastomer refresher kit from that site. Turns out there is a color code. Blue soft, red medium and yellow firm. I'm confident I'll be able to set the suspension sorted just fine once I get a few firm plugs in there.

I've put about 15miles on the bike so far and I have to admit, it's pretty cherry for a 20yo bike rocking stock parts. I still haven't given it the *full* cleaning it needs but I did do a full wipe down of X years worth of garage dust and crud. I was shocked to find the rear derailleur in almost mint condition. No scratches that I could see and still has it's nice glossy finish.

I was just looking at the picture at the start, the forks don't 'look' bottomed to me (not a manitou user though). the frame looks at the correct angles and the wheel to crown looks about right.
The elastomer stack looks in reasonable nick to (you could probably sell them for not too much). when they go, they go. either dust or a goo :LOL:

Right. They look fine until you get on them. I didn't know at the time that they were elastomer - I thought air or oil and assumed they were under pressure or the seals had gone.

Elastomers don't bottom out in the strictest sense of the term so when I got on it, they dropped but I realized, after finding out they were elastomer, I still do in fact have some play - but only about an inch.

I'm sure they are original and they seem to be in good shape. Just not stiff enough for my weight.

My new elastomer plugs showed up yesterday and I went and installed them right away. MUCH better now. Much better.

Back