Rocky Mountain Fusion Find

Nice score! :cool:

I have two RM stems with less rise in them if you care to swap? I also have two RM rigid forks, a black Tange off an Experience and a NOS teal Tange off an Equipe. ;)

Thanks RockiMtn!

I have yet to contact my lbs with suspension questions. I will likely replace them however because I want a set with lockouts - these don't have that. And while I do mostly ride the road, I'd like to start XC'ing and getting a fresh pair of suspension forks that will meet both needs [with a proper warranty].

Regarding the stem. I'm not sure what I'm going to do there. It is vanilla and I'd like to decide after I've taken it out and ridden it properly. It was definitely too high when I got it but I dropped it a good inch and a half [within about 1/8 if the crease] since. I also have my stem from my Cirrus which I've considered swapping out too but again, I'll wait to ride it first. [I think it will fit]

Thanks for the offer. I'll get in touch with you either way I go.

manIK":1yyclk7x said:
I'd like to start XC'ing and getting a fresh pair of suspension forks that will meet both needs [with a proper warranty].

If you buy new forks, which I assume you are thinking of as you mention a warranty, you need to think about the axle crown length, as modern forks are longer and you will push the front end up a bit. Can compensate with a shorter stem but its worth thinking about.

Thanks for the insight. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

How are they typically measured? Inches or mm? I suppose I can yank the current set out and see what the length is on that - would that help? Knowing that?

manIK":9orcsqt4 said:
Thanks for the insight. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

How are they typically measured? Inches or mm? I suppose I can yank the current set out and see what the length is on that - would that help? Knowing that?

Its usually in mm. For older bikes (like most on here) they will be 390, 410 or 420. Imagine yours would be 410 or 420 at the moment but its easy to measure and find out. Use this guideline but ignore the stuff about sag, as that wasnt really releveant when the early suspension forks came out http://bluecollarmtb.com/2007/04/02/how ... wn-length/

If you fit some rebas or similar, the 2011 Reba has a 480mm axle crown, which is quite a difference. Fit those and your bike might end up like a chopper.

FluffyChicken":1shpquir said:
don't forget to sell the forks, someone will have them as the elastomer/spring/whatever can be replaced.

;)

Spot on. Same for any parts you want to change.

Thanks,. I just did a rough measurement. 17 inches give or take. I'll get the guys at the lbs to do a proper one so they can give me their opinions on a decent suspension fork.

If anyone else has suggestions I'm totally open. I'm willing to drop around $350 USD for 100mm+, with a lockout. [with studs]

100mm+ would kill the bike. Buy a frame from the late 90's if you want to do that.

This frame was designed for ~390mm rigid forks. Thoose Manitou where and after purchase about the max I would fit to it. 60mm should be ok, but as far as I would go. which is more than the manitous on there.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back