dump find: old Marin bike 'Team Marin 94/95?'

wow, thanks for the feedback! whoever got that German brochure from 1994 was spot on, just what i was after - thank you...

I admit I was cautiously optimistic when I saw that Tange sticker this morning but a top of the range Marin is pretty cool..

on closer inspection of the top tube, it's paint chips that have rusted thru to the frame underneath. Not pretty, but doesn't bother me.. I guess I could respray it...

However I did spot one 'ding' or small dent on the side of the top tube..

I took a picture so that you can see the <bruise>...

Can I keep the dream alive? or is this a dangerous death killer machine?

I really appreciate the feedback

thanks retrobikepeople

Attachments

• DSC00868.jpg
    DSC00868.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 1,516
Certainly looks like a Team.

Check the BB. There's a serial number on there and there's a de-coder on here somewhere.

'M24JAC003' that;s written on a sticker not stamped on the frame, is that the number?

I really shouldn't start on another bike but I'm so tempted, it's 19" which I think is a bit small for me at 6ft2..

And yes, the handlebars although really light weight are a bit f$%ked, was a struggle to remove the lever...

I still can't see how light the frame is cos the threads are chewed on the cranks so my puller won't work.. I think that crankset probably weighs more than the bike!

I'm not jealous...

..much! :eek:

Quick trip to the powder coaters' and some new decals and that's one smart, and very cheap, bike...

with thanks to Benandemu and IWish

Frame number : M24JAC003

The M is the factory. M is Marvel, F is Fairly and T is Ti sports

2 is the model number.

1 Team Issue
2 Team Marin
3 Pine Mountain
4 Eldridge grade
5 Bear Valley
6 Muirwoods
7 Palisades Trail
8 Bobcat Trail

4 is the year ending number. That would be 1994.

JA is month and date code, not really relevant!

C is the size centre to centre.

A is 14 inches
B is 15.5 inches
C is 17 inches ( this makes it 19 centre to top)
D is 19 inches
E is 20 inches

003 are production numbers that are factory use only

Case closed, thanks all for your help

mrgumby":y7uqe4o7 said:
'M24JAC003' that;s written on a sticker not stamped on the frame, is that the number?

I really shouldn't start on another bike but I'm so tempted, it's 19" which I think is a bit small for me at 6ft2..

And yes, the handlebars although really light weight are a bit f$%ked, was a struggle to remove the lever...

I still can't see how light the frame is cos the threads are chewed on the cranks so my puller won't work.. I think that crankset probably weighs more than the bike!
Might be a bit on the small side.....I'm 6ft2" and my '94 Palisades was too small for me at 18" (c to c). Could only really ride it by swapping the stem over for a riser and by using a really long seatpost.....at which point I decided to find a bigger Marin....

Might be worth chucking it together with some cheap bits/bits out of the parts bin first to see if it fits.....?

its worth a try I ride a `92 Team 17.5" and I am 6` 1" its fine as the upper end frames had long top tubes, my bet is its 23" so would be ok.

very nice

Congratulation on your bike find! I'm green with envy, as a kid we occasionaly got choppers from the dump for a couple of quid "tip" I asked the bloke at Harrow dump yesterday and he said "its against Health and saftey.. more than my jobs worth blah blah blah" i asked if i put a £20 his way would he make an exception he said NO! what dump do you go to???? pleasssssse

theres a link on here to date the bike from the serial number, and it works! very well

Back