1994 Kona Kilauea...just finished! A few more photos!

Very nice unusual colour and nice build - I love it apart from one thing - the brake cable routing. One thing I always loved about Konas from that era was the beautifully minimalist rear brake cable routing...

Great job though - maybe if you shortened the rear cable a bit it might line up better. Man, I'm sad :)

ajm":7ok30oe9 said:
Very nice unusual colour and nice build - I love it apart from one thing - the brake cable routing. One thing I always loved about Konas from that era was the beautifully minimalist rear brake cable routing...

Great job though - maybe if you shortened the rear cable a bit it might line up better. Man, I'm sad :)

Been cursing that horrible cable stop thing. Your'e right, but hopefully thats just a temp. arrangement. Gotta plan :idea:

Thanks all for your comments,
HB

I’m sorry to have to disagree with the prevailing view, but to my eye there’s a discordant mixture of silver and black there. The colour scheme of the frame was designed for all silver, and in my view that would be best. To me, the black post, stem and (especially) the black cable guide just don’t go with the frame colour. And indeed 1994 was a silver year - every 1994 Kona had silver parts. But if you prefer black, then shouldn’t the clamp and the headset be black as well?

I do like the red bits though – they go very well with the frame and they’re in balance and there’s just the right amount of them.

Something I learned in the KoTM discussion (I think from Geoff) was that the Mountain Shock decal indicates that the bike was built for the Marzocchi XC51 option. And, at least in 1995, the entire colour scheme of the bike (paint plus decals) was different from the Race Light (Project 2) option. So if that was also the case in 94, it’s all the more clever of you to find matching P2s for your Mountain Shock frame!

What are those spokes incidentally?

Anthony":ifrby1jy said:
I’m sorry to have to disagree with the prevailing view, but to my eye there’s a discordant mixture of silver and black there. The colour scheme of the frame was designed for all silver, and in my view that would be best. To me, the black post, stem and (especially) the black cable guide just don’t go with the frame colour. And indeed 1994 was a silver year - every 1994 Kona had silver parts. But if you prefer black, then shouldn’t the clamp and the headset be black as well?

I do like the red bits though – they go very well with the frame and they’re in balance and there’s just the right amount of them.

Something I learned in the KoTM discussion (I think from Geoff) was that the Mountain Shock decal indicates that the bike was built for the Marzocchi XC51 option. And, at least in 1995, the entire colour scheme of the bike (paint plus decals) was different from the Race Light (Project 2) option. So if that was also the case in 94, it’s all the more clever of you to find matching P2s for your Mountain Shock frame!

What are those spokes incidentally?

Thanks for for detailed critique Anthony. You may well be right about the black stem and post. As I said I'm not totally happy yet...maybe its the black. The brake clamp is def. all wrong. I ordered a more svelte silver one, but they sent me that, and for the time being I have no option.
I think the 'hint of red is just about right..that's staying.
The spokes are tie-dyed ti items.

Thankyou all for comments...tried to take some better photos today, but just as bad...hard taking bike photos innit!

Regards, Carl

PS You are wrong about the forks.

Latest posts

Back