Burrington Combe - N Somerset

bikesnoopy":ih8scuj0 said:
This is the little slope i want to ride down. . . see, its not ALL vertical. . . !

If you ride down there you will definitely get to the bottom, one way or another ;)

Seriously though I didn't actually think you were going to ride down the bit in the photo I posted on the other thread and I suspected it was this bit you were talking about. I chatted to a mate about it at work today and he admitted that he'd thought about it too. If was going to do it I would want a big hitting bike and alot of body armour, because, as I stated above, once you've committed you are going to the bottom whether it be on the bike or not :LOL:

Also dude, I used to live in Wrington when I was a kid ;)

JamesM":4smfbykl said:
If was going to do it I would want a big hitting bike and alot of body armour, because, as I stated above, once you've committed you are going to the bottom whether it be on the bike or not :LOL:

I would also want that road blocked at the bottom :D

Dont get me wrong, im NOT thinking about just hurling myself off the top on a DH bike at top speed.

I want to be a bit cleverer.

My idea is just to "roll" down on a hardtail with the bars high & the seat low & my ass hanging over the back wheel which will be locked up for most of the time. I want to do an intelligent descent just to see if it can be done. I had another look this afternoon & was going to see if i could walk it first, but its impossible to do it on foot, so once im off, it'll be the bottom before i stop.

I just wondered if anyone else would like to have a crack. It would be much better to have another pair of wheels (or pairs) so we could discuss our progress as we work out our route down.

I think i have the top half sussed, but its trickier at the bottom - say the last 50 feet, as theres only really one narrow way down to the road - the rest is vertical rock. Its just working out the route from the top to link up with this exit point at the bottom.

If anyone fancies a look to see if they'd like to try it with me, we can meet up there anytime.

James - Wrington's a great place. Theres so much riding round here!

I stood at the top today and had a proper look. I've only ever ridden past before and had never actually considered riding down so had never really given it much thought. After seeing this thread and looking at your photo's and google street view I had thought that maybe a world class downhiller could do it, but that it was way beyond my skill level. Well from where I was standing today it just looked impossible for anyone. That slope looked about 45 degrees on google street view but in reality it looked more like 60 degrees for a couple of hundred feet with some vertical bits. You talked about going down the hill (cliff) slowly with your back brake on but I don't think it would do much to curb your speed on a slope that steep. I don't think the rear tyre would get much grip and a rim brake would certainly over heat (so would a disk most likely). With the rear wheel locked up you will have even less control. You would accelerate up to quite a high speed, hit something, go over the bars and roll/slide to the bottom on your head/ass. Any attempt to stop at any point and you would go over the bars and roll/slide to the bottom on your head/ass. :LOL:

Don't do it dude, cross the road go up to the trig point and ride down the chute, that's always good fun. :cool: ;)

Which part of Cheddar Gorge did you ride down?

Done the trig point/chute so many times. . .

Nah, its do-able.

I did 10 years DH racing at National level & even done some Europeans & Worlds in years gone by & done some really awesome mega stuff in the past, so a trickle down there cant be TOO bad. . .

It'll be fine. . . just zig-zag down.

Gonna give it a go in a week or two :D

Back