The NW&NW Area: General Chat Thread

kaya":26wcjavv said:
HarryCrumb":26wcjavv said:
hello Vern, Iam home. What's happening?

Its been a bit quite round here, you all bin Christmas shopping ;)

just got back from four weeks in Ohio with work at the end of last week, so todays ride into work was my 1st ride in 4weeks :cry:
cant wait to get out onto some trails with the crew.

Managed to get a ride in the other day around Newby Bridge but everywhere was pretty much waterlogged. Most trails were running rivers. So much wind and rain recently over here.

Does anyone fancy a ride out somewhere to blow the cobwebs away before Christmas, or is anyone out anywhere on Saturday?

Funny you should mention it Martin. I've been busy organising a Christmas event for this Saturday.

"This year the Christmas ride will have an added twist. Along with the usual dressing up and riding bikes, there will be checkpoints to find, riddles to solve, points to be scored, prizes to be won and, of course drinks to be drunk!
Make sure you don't miss this one."

The event is called Publaris and here is the event map with the checkpoint details and scoring removed:

Publaris-Map-WEB-no-checkpoints.jpg

Also here's a link to some more info: --> http://www.idoweb.co.uk/publaris.pdf

Retrobikers are more than welcome. Get in touch if you need any more details.

Boo. Something I could finally have made and I'm now tied up taking the mrs out and my nipper to see Santa at the Arndale. Don't think I'll get away with telling a 3-year old that daddy's going bike riding instead of him seeing Father Christmas...

Beer as well. Rats :twisted:

It's a test event for something we're organising outside of Retrobike for next summer. Hopefully it'll identify any glitches and improvements.
Incorporating it with our local christmas ride this year. There will be a modest turnout.

Basically it's based on the Polaris format, but predominantly uses pubs as the checkpoints, hence 'Publaris'. Also off road checkpoints with higher scoring values too though. In theory you could do it on a road bike.

Plenty of bonus points available for solving riddles and drinking certain drinks at certain pubs en route - not all alcoholic though. We'll probably dock points if people try too hard.

We're also toying with the idea of making it a two day event with an overnight beer tent/festival.

Back