another purchase.. A Gazelle Champion Mondial

Very nice. Interesting is the cable routing on the toptube. Normally I would absolutely expect clamps. It is an A-frame and the shifters are clamp on to. You could think the 2 braze ons are added with a refinishing, but this paint looks completely original to me.

I would try to treat the toptube with RX-5 and/or keep it a bit greasy. Touching up in that metallic tone will be far from easy. If you want a perfect looking frame, than simply buy another. If you can live with or appreciate patina, than you have a great frame there.

The mix of parts is not odd for bikes sourced in Holland (I suppose you are in Benelux?). People often created pragmatic setups that function well. Maybe replace the 600 mech by a Nuovo Record one to bring some line in it.

@poweredbypies
Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, im from Belgium

I was thinking about making it all shimano as a have a spare '70ies dura ace front mech and '70s shimano shifters...

Nice!

I think those top tube cable stops aren't original. Since you're getting some paint to retouch it might as well remove those and get a set of braces/clamps? What's the correct word for that? That way the cable outer will hide that part a bit as well.

Keep us posted! :cool:

I think those top tube cable stops aren't original. Since you're getting some paint to retouch it might as well remove those and get a set of braces/clamps? What's the correct word for that? That way the cable outer will hide that part a bit as well.

they do look original,

but it's a good idea because one of the two is very rusty.. Altough It might be quite risky as I could damage the tube
is it easy to find those 'clamps' at a reasonable price?
I already 'greased' the rust spots (not with silicon for hopefully a better paint finish :))

ill keep u guys posted.. but it might take a while because I'm really busy at the moment..

Back