new meets old? brake idea

I have come up with a solution for this problem. I shall call it hydraulics. I propose a radical way of using some sort of fluid in pipes to transfer the force applied to the levers to the back of the caliper piston. This should hopefully stop and cable stretch problems. Do you think it could catch on?

Unfortunately you have posted this on a public forum and I am now going to run to the patent office and steal this idea mwa ha ha ha.

poweredbypies":2izycy0l said:
I have come up with a solution for this problem. I shall call it hydraulics. I propose a radical way of using some sort of fluid in pipes to transfer the force applied to the levers to the back of the caliper piston. This should hopefully stop and cable stretch problems. Do you think it could catch on?

never gonna work. the fluid will evaporate on a hot sunny summers day in our climate and leave you using your foot on the seat stay bridge as a brake like we all did in the early 90's on BSO BMX's we took the brakes off because nobody knew about gyro's. :roll:

OS inner would mean OS outer cable would also be needed, which would mean OS barrel adjusters (and ferrules) would be needed :?: :!:

And IIRC correctly there is more friction, which pretty much defeats the object in the first place.

Not sure about 6mm on mechanical disks (not used em), but always used to run Clarks 6mm cables on my HOs and cantis to great effect. Big fan. :)

I don't think its really worthwile all the effort to change a cable operated disc brake to use thicker cables as the better ones do work! I have a set of Avid BB7s on my Inbred that work perfectly well. True they may not be as firm as some top of the line hydraulics, but they are better than cheapo hyrdaulics!

Back