November 2011 rBoTM - Nominations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: rBoTM November

Hi Citoyen du monde, I bought the bike back in 1986-87 from one of the members of my local cycle club. And he told me that he got the bike via Knudsenhis who is related to his mum. The rear derailleur have been replaced. The bike have a Nouvou Record, The black/silver Super Record broke, but I still have it. The Super Record pedals I also still have. The bike was used by me using Look pedals. The restoration will include getting a new Super Record Rear derailleur and putt back on the Pinarello engraved stem. Maby the serial number will reveal the year of the frame?

Citoyen du monde":2tfet39k said:
yeti-man":2tfet39k said:
Here is my late 70's Pinarello Team Montello.

Bikes history: It has been one of the Norwegian pro, olympic champion (1972) and WC champion (1973) Knut Knudsens http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knut_Knudsen bikes. I bought it from one of my fellow riders in the local bike club whos mother is related to Knut Knudsen. Knut Knudsen rode on the Jollj Ceramica/Pinarello team between 1974 and 1978.

3865066030_eaeece59c1_b.jpg

Full set of images see http://www.flickr.com/photos/98398332@N00/sets/72157622167538454/

Bike is up for restoration this winter

I especially like the shift levers that you can see in the detail photos. I don't remember ever having seen these "Pinarello" levers before. I am however not quite certain about the provenance, as your bike has the portacatena rear drop-outs that are generally thought to have been launched in 1978 when Knudsens was already riding for Bianchi. If you can get absolute confirmation that it is indeed Knudsens' old bike, this would move the launch of these dropouts back by one year.

Re: rBoTM November

yeti-man":11uyi3ye said:
Hi Citoyen du monde, I bought the bike back in 1986-87 from one of the members of my local cycle club. And he told me that he got the bike via Knudsenhis who is related to his mum. The rear derailleur have been replaced. The bike have a Nouvou Record, The black/silver Super Record broke, but I still have it. The Super Record pedals I also still have. The bike was used by me using Look pedals. The restoration will include getting a new Super Record Rear derailleur and putt back on the Pinarello engraved stem. Maby the serial number will reveal the year of the frame?

If that is all that has been replaced then I can categorically state that it was not a bike used by Knudsen when racing for Ceramiche Jollj. The brakes are 1978 or later, the front derailleur is also later than 1978, as are the extremely well-used rims. Likewise in the mid-70's it was almost unheard of that a pro would ride on large flange hubs. I think a more credible story is that Knudsen helped the original owner get the bike from Pinarello. I know many pros who have helped us "commoners" get custom frames made by some of the boutique builders like Pinarello, especially back in the 70's when I don't believe that Pinarello would have had an importer in Norway. A lovely bike nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back