"Hello" from a new member....

testudograeca

Retro Newbie
Hello everyone,

I've just registered, and thought I ought to introduce myself.

I'm based in Kent, but am from Scotland originally.

My current rides are modern stuff fitted with Rohloff Speedhubs (Giant Trance and Thorn Raven), plus an Airborne CX-type bike.

With regard to the older stuff, I have a couple of longterm projects, a GT RTS Team and a Raleigh Decade.

I've had a hankering to build a nice RTS since a holiday to Costa Rica in 1996, when I used an RTS1 with lots of M900 stuff plus the new (at the time) XT V-Brakes. I guess it's a bit of a rose tinted glasses type of thing, but I have fond memories of both the bike and the holiday and would like to build up a similar bike. I don't want to build an exact replica, and I may even use some newer components, but it should be nice when it's done.

I've been accumulating parts for a while, with a view to using them on the build. So far I've managed to pick up some nice M900 stuff, but the cream of the crop has to be a new, boxed RTS Team frame. It's possibly too nice to use but, fortunately, I've managed to pick up another 9/10 Team frame to build up first.

My other project is a Raleigh Decade, the lugged / bonded Ti frame with twin crown rigid forks. I have most of the (original) parts I need for it, but I'm lacking the time and space I need to finish it off. Oh well, one day....

Cheers for now,

Iain

Good , one more kent rider :LOL:

Welcome to you , and we would love to see some pictures .

You know it will only get worse now you have found this site. There will be no escape ;)

Welcome, make yourself at home.

The recovery is going well, thanks for asking.

I'm still off work (my accident was 6 months ago last Wednesday), but I'm back cycling, albeit slowly and not far, so I'm pretty happy.

I had hoped to use my convalescence to make a start on the GT, but haven't quite managed to get around to it yet.....

Mind you, I did buy some new XTR STIs the other day :)

Cheers,

Iain

That's good news Iain, nice to hear that your getting on your bike again, I know it goes without saying but just be careful! Says he who hasn't been able to move his shoulder properly for the past five and a half months! :oops: (X-rays are OK so it's a suspect torn rotator cuff), knocked myself out when I did it too. :(

Back