powder coat or not ?

i,ve had some frames painted in the past and some i have done myself but i have to say powder coat is better for 2 reasons its cheaper and their is a lot less mess after ward i think the only down side is you cant fade the powder coat but i might be wrong.
thwang

P.S can you t-cut powder coat or what can you use to get small scratchs out

I disagree.. Conventional spraying yes, theres lots of mess and loss but with HVLP there is very little mess or loss..

are butt cost wise powder coating is cheaper when i,ve had time at work i,ve painted my own frames. and even when the materials are at cost it still costs more than the £15 to £20 i have payed to get a frame done. and less hassle

I'd rather have the deep finish of 2K paint every time even if its costs £15 for half litre of paint :)

yes but what about the etch primer thinners hardener flatting paper and if your useing base coat their is clearcoat as well. I do agree if you are doing it your self cost do,nt mater

Can you T Cut Powder coating?
Both wet paint, and powder coatings can be compounded (T Cut) to remove scratches, unless a metallic is used, and has not been lacquered over the top. This is sometimes the case with powder coating, so you must specify top coated in lacquer.

Price of wet spraying your self compared to Powder Coating.
It is always going to be cheaper to do it your self. Labour costs are then not an issue. However it is a lot more trouble.
You need to get the frame stripped.
For a good job it should be blasted.
It should be etched, or pre-treated in some way, for better adhesion and to slow down corrosion..
Rubbing down papers need to be bought.
Primer and thinners needs to be bought and applied.
Top-coat needs to be bought and applied.
Whether you have HVLP or Low Volume High Pressure, it still stinks.
It also takes a long time, to do well.
After all that you can’t use it until it is fully cured.
Powder coating is tougher, and no hassle.
The finish can as good in powder coating as a wet paint system, if your prepared to pay for a decent powder coater.

Latest posts

Back