Kona Explosif back from the painters! 24/03/11

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
i have been umming and arr-ing over what to do with my 92 explosif. :?

i bought it frame only in 1994, it was in a shop hung up for ages, used it for a few years and sold it. i regretted it, i always liked it. luckily 2 years ago the guy i sold it to came into the shop i was working at looking for a new bike and ended up selling it back to me!! :D :D

since then i have been unsure what to do with it. basically the condition is not that bad, some would love the patina look but i feel it is getting a little tired, and also the fork i got for it was never the correct colour not that i minded how it looked as it was a 93 fork in gun metal.

i have had a couple of different builds on it since getting it back, initially i went nearly all m900 on it then i used the m900 for my orange e3 build and modernised the explosif with v brakes and spinergy's but i knew that that was just a stop gap build although it did ride really nice like that.

i am not sure what spec to build it with yet but it is likely to be m900 xtr or similar year model xt.

i could go for an original respray in black with silver giltter as original, or i could go for the gold option that was available in 92 or i could just decide on something else (not white, it has been done to death!!)

i was thinking that if i painted it gold then built with xt then it would be near as damn it catalogue spec which would be sort of nice. but then technically then it would be an explosif not an explosif pro as it is now although i believe the only difference was the paint anyway!

here are a couple of pics from as i had it in 1994, an example of the gold option and the current state of the frame aswel as the most reacent build it had.

thoughts please gentlemen :D

Attachments

• kona's most reacent build.jpg
    kona's most reacent build.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 7,649
  • 1992 kona explosif.jpg
    1992 kona explosif.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 7,650
  • 92kona explosif.jpg
    92kona explosif.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 7,649
  • explosif.jpg
    explosif.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 7,649
The gold for me. But then it might not be so easy to powdercoat and i'd choose powdercoating over any other paint.

Gold with nice XT gear would make it qulity. Maybe get Gil_m to do some custom decals.. nice

i was defo thinking gil for the stickers, but it'll go to argos or bob jackson for the paint, i've have had work done by both and not had chipping problems with either.

i must admit i am leaning towards the gold option.

From my year or so on here, blue explosifs seem the most common. So gold for me would be a bit different. And if you go for anything unique, you'd always be tempted with white like you say, and that has been done to death (although they look ace).

Gold gold gold. Just don't overdo the gold components/bling with it!

coomber":1ex4633u said:
Gold gold gold. Just don't overdo the gold components/bling with it!

honestly i HATE gold ano, especailly the modern gold, it's darker than gold ano was back in the day.

if you look at any of my builds there is generally only black or silver ano but for a few exceptions and it's never overdone.

subtle = :cool: = the way forward (or backward in our case)

Loving the gold with the P2's, looks 'lighter' some how?
If you build it, it will look the dogs spuds regardless ;)

Hi Jon,

Personally I prefer the black over the gold, I dont like gold cars and just think lexus for some reason. But as GrannyGrinder has correctley stated what ever you choose Jon it will look spot on :D

How about something different, Brown would be great IMO, saw some nice Salsa's in brown at the weekend and must admit they looked the absolute nuts.

I had a 91 kona finished in Pink for the breadknife (I know what your thinking) but it looks great and still does now, This was done by Argos and decals from Gil that they fitted and laquered over :cool:

Pink008.jpg

More pics in sig link

Cheers

GM

@gravymonster, cool for the wife but i need something more manly!! :LOL:

anyway update time!! one of the things i had to do before it goes to be painted is remove the bottom bracket . . . what i nightmare i was dreading this job. it's been in there for 17 years!!!!! :shock: :shock:

i'd already had a go at it before but it just didn't want to know, and i really tried!!! bear in mind i'm ex bike trade and i know the best ways to remove stuck rusted bottom brackets, and it just wasn't happening!! :evil:

but today i feel like i didn't accomplish anything (except buying a new camera :p :D see pics!) but i knew in the back of my mind the explosif was there . . . . waiting . . . . haunting me . . . . wanting to be worked on.

at about 8pm i decided to drag myself into the garage to attempt removal and here's the result :D

Attachments

• removing the non drive cup.jpg
    removing the non drive cup.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 7,428
  • finally out.jpg
    finally out.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 7,428
  • propper clamped.jpg
    propper clamped.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 7,428
  • tool bolted in and clamped in the vice.jpg
    tool bolted in and clamped in the vice.jpg