Help what size frame best for a mate

rojo

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Hi there a mate of mine wants to start riding, he says he is 6ft or a touch under that. He thinks he would like to get a kona bike what size would be best to get???

I'd say a 19'' or 20'' at the max. But if he has long legs then 21''

i'm 5'10 and ride 16" konas. i find 18's a bit big. if he is the same torso/leg proportion as me then 17/18 wiuld be abouit right. i have stumpy legs though

I have asked him to measure his height and inside leg to give a better idea. Will post up when he replys to me.

An 18 is intended for 5-6 to 6-0, a 19 is for 5-9 to 6-3. So it depends whether he likes a smallish frame or a bigger one.

I don't think it follows that a 6-0 with extremely long legs should go for a very big frame. A very big frame will have a very long top tube and a 6-0 with extremely long legs will have a short upper body, and therefore find the long top tube a stretch. Best posture for somebody with long legs and short upper body could come with a short top tube and very long seat post. But a Kona is not a good make for that shape of person anyway.

Thanks guys he has text me to say he has measured himself and he is 6ft tall and his inside leg is 32-33 inches.

I am 6ft 2" and I ride a 19" which is fine for me, found 18" to be just z bit to small.

Which size you think be best for his measurements??

He wants me to put a wanted thread on for a bike once I know size.

Depends what he wants it for, XC or for the more relaxed position of this new fangled AM riding

I would think a 20" Kona would be too large for his legs so possibly 19"

But if he really wants to find out, get him to sit on some in a shop or first do this to get some real measurements ranges.
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO

It will give fit's for different styles of bikes, videos of how to measure properly and then even what length stem should be used.

Will also give MTB/Road bike setups if you switch between the sites.

XC is probably more the RetroBike style of bike.

let him have a go on yours and see how he feels.... if it's too big feeling go for an 18

He has had a go on a 18" and 19" and he says they both feel fine to him so think I will put a wanted thread up for him and see what's about. Thanks for help guys !

I'm 6" and ride 18" GT's, but my 2 Specialized's are 19"'s.

Best to try before you buy.

Latest posts

Back