Uk import duty ?

Sithlord

Old School Grand Master
Hi Guys,

any idea on the Uk Import Duty costs, I am liable to pay on a 670 US Dollar purchase.. :)

Always managed to avoid these costs to date, but due to recent circumstances I feel I am going to get hammered.. :(

Anyone give me a idea please..

TIA

Si

I paid £57 including £12 post office charge on a $500 watch sent as a gift from Canada :x

I always get stung for this, some people never do. If it is coming via USPS / Royal Mail they withold the item until you have paid up. If it is with TNT they charge you after you have recieved it.

It also depends on what the goods are. There are different rates of duty for different goods. It pays to do your research and get the other side to fill the customs declaration in accordingly.

As has been said the rate of duty varies from item to item - bicycle parts are 5% of the declared customs value OR their assessment of the item value.
Plus handling fee
Plus VAT on top of all of that (another tax on tax example :roll: )

I got two bills from Parcelfarce this week. Paid them both and the parcels were delivered. It was one bike in two boxes but I ended up paying two lots of tax on it.
It pisses me off when on one hand we have a government that preaches at us and taxes us to give up our cars (whilst providing one of the poorest public transport services in the western world), fails to tackle public health and then taxes bicycles and parts. If I were in charge you would get 10% cash back on healthy purchases.
I used to get hit on one international purchase in six but lately its been every one. The Inland Revenue are also squeezing small businesses like mine much harder lately too. I guess those guys are now under pressure to dig us out of the shit that old Gordon has got us into.

When i sent the wheels to andrew in aussie,he asked me to take the chance and insure it for about 1/2 its value,as when added to the shipping costs can incur penalties if over a certain amount.
Our total was about A$400,instead of the A$700+ it should have been insured to.
If the box is sturdy and reinforced,then you could take the chance and not insure it :?

Back