Chesham / Amersham area

Rod_Saetan

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Like many we are thinking about moving out of the City and Chesham / Amersham (if we can afford it!) seem like a great compromise of proximity to London and Countryside. Anyone live / lived there? What is the cycling like, road/MTB/gravel (ha!)? Any awesome or indeed terrible things we may not have picked up on?

Thanks in advance!

Rod_Saetan":3kxv2ene said:
Like many we are thinking about moving out of the City and Chesham / Amersham (if we can afford it!) seem like a great compromise of proximity to London and Countryside. Anyone live / lived there? What is the cycling like, road/MTB/gravel (ha!)? Any awesome or indeed terrible things we may not have picked up on?

Thanks in advance!
Lovely to be a short distance from the Chilterns

I prefer just outside High Wycombe -

Rod_Saetan":24y3uz1a said:

Thanks in advance!

Like all the commuter (remind me what that concept was...) hubs, you'll need a hefty chunk of cash to secure a suitable HQ.

Outside Amersham you have little Chalfont - Chalfont st giles and other quaint villages - quite expensive. Nicely accessible to the chilterns and towards Dunstable downs for cycling and walking
Outside high Wycombe would be better than Amersham or Chesham - for walking and cycling quiet trails
Check out stockenchurch ibstone and west Wycombe -

Rod_Saetan":3s918al7 said:

Thanks in advance!
Hi Rod,
I moved out of London to live in the Chilterns in 1988 though I am based about ten miles north of Amersham near to Wendover and Tring. I love the cycling around here. Not surprisingly, riding in the Chilterns mostly involves hills though there are some routes that avoid big hills by that following the ridges and the valleys.

About six miles NW of Amersham is the escarpment slope of the Chilterns which runs in a north easterly direction from the river Thames near Wallingford to the Dunstable Downs to the north. West of the scarp is the much flatter Vale of Aylesbury which is very popular with road cyclists.

The hills have significantly more in the way of forests than the mainly arable Aylesbury Vale. The off-road trails are a mixture of chalk and clay. This marl is rock hard when dry and but can be very muddy in the winter because it holds onto water and dries slowly. This can make winter riding interesting and so in winter, some riders prefer to ride in the area north of Leighton Buzzard where the sandy soils are drain better and so are ridable all year round.

Because the area is popular with horse riders the bridle-paths are often indented by the hooves when wet and retain many of these dents when the ground dries and hardens. So the riding tends to be slower than the fast smooth surface trails often found at purpose built trail-centres or on well maintained gravel tracks.

For easier riding there are quite a few of Sustrans' routes and canal tow-paths in the area, as well as long distance paths like the Ridgeway and Icknield way.

All-in-all, the riding opportunities in the area are many and varied.

I hope this is of help.

A great help, many thanks! We're in the process of getting somewhere in Chesham, very excited to start exploring...

Rod_Saetan":2zg114nr said:
A great help, many thanks! We're in the process of getting somewhere in Chesham, very excited to start exploring...
Sounds good, there are some good mountain bike routes to the north and west of Chesham. It's also further away from the proposed HS2 route than Amersham, and so much less likely to be affected by the construction work.

This is the area where British mountain biking began with social rides from 1982, competitive events from 1984 and with one of the countries first trail centres opening in 1997 at Aston Hill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPAH4ng6_iw&t=4s

I'm just up in Hazlemere, in between High Wycombe and Amersham. There are lots of great routes round here both road and off-road. The ridgeway runs through Wendover/Princes Risborough/Chinnor and there's lots of nice off road routes near there. There is a nice 65K offroad/gravel circular route which goes out to Denham and down the canals and comes back via Chalfont Latimer and Chesham.

Peters Lane which goes up to Whiteleaf cross is number 22 in the UKs 100 best road climbs!

Rod...here’s a HUGE SPANNER (to put in the works)...

...commuting to London? Some of the best riding in England? Thousands of off road miles and quiet lanes?

Brighton
Chichester
Lewes
Eastbourne

Sea air as well as green lanes....

Back