3 dead in 4 days!!!!

Re:

Amazing, ain't it ... how the media so often makes it sound as though it was the victims fault ...

"the cyclist collided with a somethingorother ... " :facepalm:

spin the truth, employ semantics, and manipulate minds.

(ie: rather than reporting "another cyclist run over by a stoned/drunk/texting/incompetent/distracted driver")

Re: Re:

k-rod":2i9rmh9f said:
Amazing, ain't it ... how the media so often makes it sound as though it was the victims fault ...

(ie: rather than reporting "another cyclist run over by a stoned/drunk/texting/incompetent/distracted driver")

They would if the driver was found to be foreign. But this is not the time for such thoughts.

Mine are with the families of the victims. I'm so glad I don't have to commute in a city.

Mike

k-rod":256k6z14 said:

The reason is that such things are allegations until proven in court. You can compromise any prosecution by such reporting...which would also let the offender off the hook.

hamster":1u8xsccg said:
k-rod":1u8xsccg said:

The reason is that such things are allegations until proven in court. You can compromise any prosecution by such reporting...which would also let the offender off the hook.

okay - understood ... but how about "a cyclist and a vehicle collided at blablabla location, resulting in the unfortunate blablabla ... "

At least thus retaining a semblance of neutrality. :!:

I was hit by a car last week, outskirts of London. He pulled out from a side street and I couldn't stop. hit his drivers side front wheel arch, onto bonnet, smashed his windscreen with my head, dented his car. think my bike is a write off. mild concussion, bloody shin but alive alive oh! could have been worse... bike could have been one of my retro bikes. joke. I could have been under the car not over.

He looked straight at me, I saw the white of his eyes, then still pulled out. car drivers, and I count myself as a car driver are rarely looking for bikes.

The lady witness stood between us and that stopped me killing the prat. Truly.

This is absolutely shocking news...my thoughts are with their families. It is about time London followed the likes of Amsterdam and invested in proper cycle lanes and facilities.

the answer isn't just investment, London has had significant investment over recent years, it could always use more but some money has been spent. The other things that need to be done include, in my mind, reduction of large vehicles - lorries and the like and perhaps restricted delivery times and making those that do come into the city have better all round site. Continued investment in road improvements. However I think the biggest thing is to change the mindset of drivers, educating them.

the numbers of people riding has increased I am sure. Relative to the number of bike trips done I would imagine the deaths haven't increased, maybe they are stable numbers and one death is too many. If this continues I think a critical mass will occur, maybe its starting to happen, where the power shifts from the car to the bike in terms of how people think when they travel in London. I hope so.

Back