Painting a bathroom with flaking paint.

66 triumph daytona

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Im getting the bathroom ready for a fresh coat of paint but in 2 corners the old paint has started to flake off in large bits,can I get away with scraping off just those sections and blocking or would I have to scrape off and block the entire lot to ensure a good finish?I intend on putting up a good primer before topcoat.

I'd get as much of it down as possible, a good prepped surface gives better results than one that's had less time spent on it. Some paint just doesn't like been used in bathrooms/kitchens with moisture etc. If I were you I'd go for a specific bathroom/kitchen paint. I have same problem in my kitchen but it's gone more a crackle glaze effect. This won't matter too much to me as next time it gets done will be tiled and papered.
Good luck, just remember prep is key and the more time spent on prep the better your results will be.
Just my 2 pence others may advise differently.

Scrape, sand, clean, dry out. Heat the room for a few hours to properly dry it out and use bathroom specific paint.

Re:

Cheers lads.I have a quality bathroom paint and a tough anti mould bathroom primer.The thing is I scraped off the flakey bits and the rest is solid and wont budge.Will the scraped bits stand out even after priming and painting?Is there a way to "feather" in those areas so they wont stick out?

Re:

Prime bare areas with an alkali resisting primer. Constant wetting/drying build up salts in the plaster & emulsion won`t key to it. Anywhere where it`s powdery to the touch needs a dab before painting.

Re:

If it ain't a huge area, tile it!

I can't go back to painted bathrooms after having tiles everywhere. Gotta love being able to just wash it all down after dismembering tourists.

Back