How long do you plan on riding a bicycle?

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Cycling seems to make us live longer so how long do you plan on keeping going - I dont think I could ever give up unless there was something really wrong.

A friend has MDS and still manages a few miles here and there. My asthma isnt so bad these days and has allowed me to do better than even ten years ago.

I've met a few in their 70's and 80's that regularly do 80 - 90 miles a week (much to the alarm of their family) so how long do think you'll keep going for?

http://time.com/5695/102-year-old-cycli ... ld-record/

Re:

As long as I continue to breathe. It gets me away from stressful people and out into the countryside.

One of the old boys at my first club had a bike bought for him for his birthday. 85th, 90th, can't remember.

It was a frame he'd made in he early days of owning his own shop in the 50's, built up with fairly period kit.
He was still using it the thick end of 10 years later when he dropped dead in his mid/late 90s having been out on a club ride that day.

I'd like to try that.

Re:

If I can't propel my own bike I won't be using a electric bike.
My motorbikes aren't included though.

Re:

Does electric count? Could be indefinite then.

I hate to burst your bubble, indefinitely is unlikely, even if you are immortal, the universe isn't; entropy and all that. :p

Re:

I have practically quit riding motorbikes. No health benefits, and can't carry the dog.

In an ideal world, I could see me riding round on a big trike in my dotage, but reality tells me at some point I will find walking a challenge enough.

Back