Hats Off To Roadies!

highlandsflyer

Retro Wizard
Feedback
View
Popped into ASDA for beer on the way home and there were three roadies discussing a pass they came over that must have been pretty high. I saw them in discussion with the security guard who was telling them they couldn't leave their bikes within the store.

Given the bikes in question, and noting they had no locks with them I went over and interrupted by asking if the road they were discussing was the Garbole road? Indeed it was. They were participating in the http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-136/#more Old Military Roads Audax. 400k over often shoddy roads in what has been pretty poor conditions.

The security guard was unwavering despite my posit that ASDA is supposedly environmentally friendly and have hook ups for electric vehicles outside and such. He claimed it was down to safety issues, so I ended up watching their bikes while they were in the store. Out in the entry area where, ironically, they were actually much more likely to be 'tripped up on'.

Sound blokes, one had come from Sheffield for this event, though the chap who whipped out his control stamp book was from Dumbarton.

I hope they don't mind me throwing up a pic of their machines, one of them mentioned he likes old bikes and has a Pashley tandem. He also mentioned he has seen this forum, though I guess a post 97 road section would be where these machines belong if we had one.

Anyway I told them they are bloody mentalists. Little did they know this rather unfit looking 46 year old used to go out on 150 mile overnighters day in day out in his youth.

But some lovely gear they had so they did.

I would imagine they are half way home now after they went off to find some carb rich eats downtown.

Just reminded me that we are all cyclists at heart, and you are never alone when you ride a bike. I would have given them my van to lock their bikes in when they were eating had I not had a full load in it.

Even if I have hardly been on one for a while, once a cyclist always a cyclist.

Sorry about the shit pics, but my battery was about done and I didn't take the case off before shooting, or set up manually. Or think about my arms shaking thanks to a day spent moving furniture and driving.

Attachments

• DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 569
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 569
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 569

Latest posts

Back