How many of us here are members of the CTC?

joe careless

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I am wondering how many RB'ers are part of the CTC? Either way would be interested your reasons. I am initially because of the insurance but have found myself increasingly involved to the point I am now one of the CTC Cymru S.W.Wales reps. ? :facepalm:

Active member here ...................... oooeer :mrgreen:

The insurance yes BUT its the access to the vast amount of info/knowledge/experience/helpfulness you get from being a member.

Yes, recently re-joined here.

Not done many runs with them in the last few years though, something I must fix.

For: Legal representation, 3rd party insurance, decent club runs, MTB skills courses and the fact they do try and represent the cyclist. Some area sections very welcoming.

Not so sure: Their position on helmets. The rides / routes database is very messy and needs sorting, the area sections can sometimes be a little fractious, club / section rides all in different sites / formats.

Against: Peoeple putting this on a website:

"There is also plenty of evidence casting doubts over the effectiveness of helmets. They are (and can only be) designed to withstand minor knocks and falls, not being hit by lorries. "
http://www.ctc.org.uk/news/police-shoul ... et-targets

I mean, who knew?

DA-EVO":3k9t7gc9 said:
Yes, recently re-joined here.

Not done many runs with them in the last few years though, something I must fix.

For: Legal representation, 3rd party insurance, decent club runs, MTB skills courses and the fact they do try and represent the cyclist. Some area sections very welcoming.

Not so sure: Their position on helmets. The rides / routes database is very messy and needs sorting, the area sections can sometimes be a little fractious, club / section rides all in different sites / formats.

Against: Peoeple putting this on a website:

"There is also plenty of evidence casting doubts over the effectiveness of helmets. They are (and can only be) designed to withstand minor knocks and falls, not being hit by lorries. "
http://www.ctc.org.uk/news/police-shoul ... et-targets

I mean, who knew?

Aaah THE helmet debate personally I've gone down the MIPS route and now have a POC lid.

Yes, the Website is a bit higgedly piggedly something that is gradually being worked on.

Anymore?

joe careless":2q351qdx said:
Aaah THE helmet debate personally I've gone down the MIPS route and now have a POC lid.

Yes, the Website is a bit higgedly piggedly something that is gradually being worked on.

Anymore?

Don't get me wrong, I do think its a good organisation. I just checked out my local area runs list and they are now doing a lot to promote new members (shorter rides, 'shed bike rides'), so thats a good thing too - its certainly not standing still, thats for sure :)

Recently cancelled my membership - I can't justify the £60+ cost. I've had the 'it's good value' debate and I still cannot justify the cost. :?

I was until I joined BC.
TBH, their position on helmets makes far more sense than the rabid position taken by most of the rest of the internet.
It actually uses evidence, and experimental data, rather than anecdotes and advertorial/marketing guff.

I've been a member more on than off since starting out cycling with the West Kent DA back in the mid-80s.70-100 mile club runs in all weathers every Sunday for 5 heart was a great grounding.

Now I don't have a decent local group nearby, so it's mostly for the insurance and legal advice.

All the best,

Back