The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
Just been thinking about where I used to go for bits as a kid (1970s). Anybody remember Marriots Bike shop in syston Leics. I went to school with Richard (Marriot) and his Mum and Dad ran a little bike shop on Melton Road in Syston. The sort of shop where you could get all the advice you needed and odd bits and pieces all the way up to bikes. Always went there for tyres and to get wheels straightened (a lot!) Did we all build ramps for our Choppers back then? I remember the first Grifters, weird big front wheel!

I've long since moved away and was just thinking while typing. Went onto Google earth and found the old shop location. Nearly fell off my chair when I saw this!

It was all fields round here when I was a lad!

Attachments

• marriots.jpg
    marriots.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 153
Just rang them and yes it is the same shop!!!!!!! http://www.cyclopscycles.co.uk/cyclops-cycles.html

The couple who own/run it bought it from Mrs Marriot. Just Had a long chat about the old place, Mr Marriot's pony tail and the fact that he would repair clocks as well.

Lovely to see see that some things carry on in this age of out of town anonymous multi-branch retail giants.

Back