How desirable and how much?

Kell

Retro Guru
I've just bought my first roadbike in 30+ years. Or racer as we used to call them.

Unfortunately, it was done on the proviso that I get rid of one (or more) of my existing bikes.

The two worth the most (in my eyes) are my two Orange P7s.

I have one stamped with a 1994 (bought SH in about '96) and the other is from 2000.

The older one has all the original 'bits' but no wheels. Thuogh I do have a new set of stickers (from Gil) as I was planning on rebuilding at some point.

The newer one has everything it came with, including the hope hubs.

Before I get my hopes too high, what are they (realistically) worth.

Thanks in avance.

Re:

Orange have a good following so a good start.... Really need to know more about them size, condition of paint and parts, really the old saying stands true a picture is worth a 1000 words ;) :D

Your wish ...etc etc

Both bikes are 19" frames.

The 'Newer' one

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

The 'older' one

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Well, they both look a little 'unloved' :)

Have a few Oranges now myself, and judging by what I've paid for frames, I don't think you would raise more than £80 for either of them. Best of luck though. You'll have better luck if you give them some TLC before listing, and take some nicer pictures that show them off in a better light.

cycletothesea":1czj46ua said:
Well, they both look a little 'unloved' :)

Have a few Oranges now myself, and judging by what I've paid for frames, I don't think you would raise more than £80 for either of them. Best of luck though. You'll have better luck if you give them some TLC before listing, and take some nicer pictures that show them off in a better light.

I think 'unloved' is a little unfair. Unused, perhaps.

The '94 bike is, after all, now 20 years' old and has sat unused for 14 years since I got the newer one in 2000.

The newer one was superceded by my need to have a folding bike to use on the train - so that only got about two years' use before it too, got relegated to the back of the shed. So that's not really been used in 12 years.

I don't really want to part with either of them if I'm honest.

Re:

I think 'unloved' is a little unfair. Unused, perhaps.

You have to appreciate that a lot of people on this forum keep their bicycles in absolutely immaculate condition. Whichever you sell, you'll make it easier and get a better price with a thorough clean and a service to make sure that the gears and brakes are all working nicely.

I recently sold a rather ordinary Claud Butler for £75.00, which was more than I was really expecting, I was prepared to be haggled down to about £50.00. But I spent some time cleaning it and had fitted new brake cables, brake blocks etc., made sure that the wheels were true and everything was running smoothly and working properly.

The chap that came to look at it took it for quick spin around the block and when he came back he gave me the full asking price, no haggling. Chatting to him I got the impression that he was fed up with going to have a look at a bicycle for sale only to find something dirty, with a rusty chain and in need of a thorough service, he wanted to buy something that was ready to ride.

Re:

Location if pipick up only may alter the price but willing to post will take a tenner of your earnings.

Split the things to bits, clean and test the parts and search the sales for a bit and post in the sales or eBay or similar.

I'd take the older if your close for 50 quid picked up.

Re:

Being realistic - to maximise what you get for them you need to split them and sell all the bits individually.

Much more of a ballache stripping, cleaning, photographing everything etc but you'll get 2x the money.

As an example - the '94 P7 frame and would probably go £80 once cleaned up as it's a good size. The SK8 stem £15, the club roost bars £10, Ritchey levers £15, XTR mech £25, XT M739 front mech £10, etc etc. As fluffychicken says - strip, clean, test, photograph (good ones), honest appraisal and list for sale individually.

Back