Trek 9800 OCLV 1995 ish with lots of rare and trick parts….

rog350z

Retro Newbie
Hi All,

Apologies in advance as am obviously new to the forum - I was advised this might be a good place to let my bike go to a new home.

I used to race (NEMBA) back in the day 1994 ish and built my pride and joy (every nut and bolt) myself.

I am looking for guidance on if it's worth selling and what price point (I have looked at individual components and obviously/hopefully some desirable bits there!)

Circa 1996 – please note this has not been touched in 20 years and therefore would be sold as seen.

There are a couple of photos (will get some better ones of course - rush job!) on the For Sale thread.

Many thanks in advance,

Rog.
  • Trek 9800 OCLV (Optimum Carbon Low Void) Frameset with Aluminium Dropouts. Size TBC
  • Pace RC35 Carbon Forks – Elastomer Only model
  • Hope Titanium Hubs with Ringle Quick release skewers (screw in part possibly missing), Mavic 231 rims
  • Chris King Titanium Aheadset
  • Ringle Aluminium Stem (Red)
  • X-Lite Titanium Handlebars (Silver)
  • X-Lite Aluminium Bar Ends (Red)
  • Gravity Research Rim Crusher Cantilever Brakes (Red)
  • Kooka Two finger Aluminium Brake Levers (Red and Silver).
  • Ringle Aluminium Seat Post (Red)
  • Flight Titanium Saddle
  • Shimano Deore XTR Underbar Shifters, Front and Rear Mech
  • Shimano 7 speed cassette (11-28 TBC)
  • Middleburn RS3 Aluminium Cranks and Red Chain Rings – 42,32,28 (TBC)
  • Royce Titanium Bottom Bracket with Titanium bolts
  • Time ATAC SPD Titanium Pedals (Red)
  • Ringle Bottle Cage (Red)

Typically worth more in parts unfortunately, but there are some nice parts to move on.

From the pics on the other thread I’d say the shifters and mech are XT rather than XTR however - perhaps better pics will clear than up.

Probably somewhere in the £850-£1000 as a complete bike would be my estimate. Frame is a bit of an unknown for me.

Typically worth more in parts unfortunately, but there are some nice parts to move on.

From the pics on the other thread I’d say the shifters and mech are XT rather than XTR however - perhaps better pics will clear than up.

Probably somewhere in the £850-£1000 as a complete bike would be my estimate. Frame is a bit of an unknown for me.
Thanks for this. Much appreciated.

XT may well be correct and happy to update (it was 20 years ago I built it haha!)

I was hoping for £1,500 ish total having added up my various research on here/ebay etc etc

It looks a very trick awesome bike and you must have enjoyed racing it. I have very fond memories of many NEMBA races of that era.
Lots of desirable parts there but they never add up to the value of the whole bike. If you split it up and sold off individual components then you may hit the 1500 figure, with 20 visits to the post office and sourcing boxes etc and maybe a few bits left over. As a bike, someone would probably buy it for a few key parts and sell the rest off. Generally not a good time economically to be selling anything, with a black hole hovering under the whole cycling industry and it's a month before Christmas too. I think you'd be lucky to top a grand as a bike in one go but lots of people on here would be interested in components if you split. Offering collection is always a good bet with high value parts if you offer your approximate location, (still in the north?).

It looks a very trick awesome bike and you must have enjoyed racing it. I have very fond memories of many NEMBA races of that era.
Lots of desirable parts there but they never add up to the value of the whole bike. If you split it up and sold off individual components then you may hit the 1500 figure, with 20 visits to the post office and sourcing boxes etc and maybe a few bits left over. As a bike, someone would probably buy it for a few key parts and sell the rest off. Generally not a good time economically to be selling anything, with a black hole hovering under the whole cycling industry and it's a month before Christmas too. I think you'd be lucky to top a grand as a bike in one go but lots of people on here would be interested in components if you split. Offering collection is always a good bet with high value parts if you offer your approximate location, (still in the north?).

Really appreciated. It was a long time ago but was great fun (Mint Sauce and No Fear plus Oakley only made two types of glasses!

Agree on split but also the hassle factor means selling in one go is possibly preferable.

Collection is certainly available - it's in the North East currently and I shall be home over Xmas period to arrange if someone wanted it.

Will see how it goes as had a couple of interested people PM thus far.

I shall ask parents to do a video walk round and post link on here so people can see in more detail as am sure that will help people see if they might be interested.

Oakley only made two types of glasses!

Early 90's Oakley collectors still had some cash left over. 🤣

I remember seeing someone at one of the Eston Hills DH race wearing a pair of Oakley over the tops. Thinking how cool and unique they were but to see the prices now is a shocker😲

Early 90's Oakley collectors still had some cash left over. 🤣

I remember seeing someone at one of the Eston Hills DH race wearing a pair of Oakley over the tops. Thinking how cool and unique they were but to see the prices now is a shocker😲
Frogskins and Mumbos!

Back