Not (Just) Another Clockwork..(1993) Updated 25/07/10 page 3

Owen

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I picked up this frame a few weeks ago and have been busy collecting parts for the build. At first it was going to be a pretty plain, workhorse sort of build.. but I easily get carried away.. :roll:

Frame is a 1993 Clockwork. Unfortunately it has lost too much paint for me to keep the original so I will be getting her re-finished. Hopefully keeping the original orange/white fade but I'm still speaking to painters/powder coaters about my options.

Girvin Flexstem. All the parts are present, it was NOS, but I'm stripping it down to have the extension painted orange to match the frame. Here it is partially stripped:

Bars are Renthal (Pace) RC Sub 130's.

X-Lite Alto Pro bar ends. In my opinion some of the sweetest bar ends ever made!

XT M-095 shift/brake leavers. These are in lovely condition, with the original rubber covers too! :D

XT M-735 mechs front and rear. Both in great condition with added purpleness! ;)

Beautiful Dia-Compe 987 cantis with Odyssey straddle rods. I need to make a couple of little mods to get these to work together but I have it all figured out.. :cool:

Full set of Pace rings and Middleburn RS2's. Just waiting for the RS2 arms to arrive.. hopefully this week..

Hope Ti front hub and XT-M732 rear hub. The front Hope appears to be a very early model as the outer face of the bearings are exposed.. if anyone has any info on this I'd be really grateful. The rear needs a new cassette body (you can just make out the fractured bit where the lockring threads in to), the new body is here ready and I'll be giving it new bearings and a good clean so it should be tickidy boo when I'm done. :D

Lovely set of NOS USE Spinstix. :cool:

X-Lite Ti seat bolt (NOS & karma off a good mate!) and a purple USE clamp arrangement ready for the USE shockpost when it arrives..

I've always had a thing for the old Bontrager Saddles. This one is a C30, it was in a bit of scuffed mess but has cleaned up nice with a bit of polish. If I find a Bonty Ti though it will probably get replaced.. :roll:

Everyone loves a Ringle H2O.. :cool:

So that's where I'm at so far.. I'll try to update this as the build progresses!

You might notice I've tried to use British made components wherever possible! I've done that so it will be my little bit of home when I move back to Canada in a few months! ;) :cool:

when you gonna send some off that purple good luck my way! :D

if your going purple then a black/dark frame fella. orange will clash and look cheap.

kase1983":3rwk9il2 said:
if your going purple then a black/dark frame fella. orange will clash and look cheap.

I have considered that, but then again I'm quite keen on the clash.. I reckon it will look cool in a retro sort of way! ;) Even considering if I go that way putting some fluro yellow toeclips and brake tamers on her! :shock:

But.. I am also thinking if I'm getting her re-done why not go with something unique (and classy, no fluro!).. I mean the orange/white is a bit common around these parts! :roll: Maybe a nice grey.. or blue (torquoise)..?? Oh I don't know.. :? :LOL:

Any suggestions??

Looking good so far Owen. ;) Must admit I prefer retro Orange's to be finished in colours available at the time. My grey one looks sweet imo but having sold all my orange/white content I'm getting an itch for another. :roll:

Sure whatever you choose will look ace. :cool:

I was really up for the orange/white and purple thing before putting this post together. But now seeing it all in one place I'm starting to doubt it.. :?

I think tomorrow I'll mock it up, step back and see what's what..

You have a good point about using colours that were originally available. I've got the 93 catologue but that only shows a Clockwork in black..

I don't suppose you have any info on the colour range for 1993??

Go British racing green mate :D Be different! I think it would look good and get some white decals made up for it!

I like Orange bike used to have a P7 loved that bike

Late '92, early '93 colours were:

Orange/White.
Purple/Orange.
Satin Black.
Silver Grey.

Late '93, early '94 colours were:

Silver/Blue.
Black.
Orange.
Champagne.

Info taken from period Stif adds ;)

Awesome thanks mate! :cool:

Do you know how to date the frames from the serial? Is there a thread about this? Mine is: A3020509

I was told by the previous owner it is a 93 and I had assumed that it was a late 93 due to the decals. Most 93's I see have the older style decals where as this style seems to be 94 onwards. But you say orange/white fade was only early 93. :? Obviously the decals could have been changed but they appear to have been on there since the factory.

No mystery mate. Read an old MBUK artical the other day from 1992 that was about the rise and rise of Orange + Pace. In that it said the Orange chaps had just bought a new decal machine and were wasting all their time playing with it. Your style decals were available through out '93 and even turned up on a few '92 beasts. As Orange was still quite a small outfit back then they tended to play around with the details quite a lot. ;)

Back