'91 Karakoram

guysbikes

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Recent purchase from eBay in a terrible state - I've cleaned it up & put on new bits all round so I can ride it - now the hunt for period stuff begins...

Attachments

• '91 Karakoram.jpg
    '91 Karakoram.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 3,719
Nice find – got the same model in that years other colour (black with dark blue flecks and streaks). Same frame as my old, and long-since stolen, Tequesta. These frames ride really well and can put up with a lot.

Enjoy :cool:

Thanks Crayons - you're right about them putting up with a lot - I had one in '92 and raced it for a season - damn it's heavy but definitely tough!

Crayons":2svg8hdl said:
Nice find – got the same model in that years other colour (black with dark blue flecks and streaks). Same frame as my old, and long-since stolen, Tequesta. These frames ride really well and can put up with a lot.

have you still got the avalanche, crayons?

hows the stem holding out?

SEANSTEPHENS":3aoi8co6 said:
Crayons":3aoi8co6 said:

have you still got the avalanche, crayons?

hows the stem holding out?

The Avalanche is still going strong mate – as is the stem. In fact it was the Avalanche (with stem) that was my chosen weapon of choice for my South West C2C

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ht=#467082

Long-live the GTs :D

Stunning bike. One of these went for just over 40 Euros on ebay.de yesterday. Almost placed a bid..... :oops:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
GT

Looks pretty good as it stands - I've been collecting period parts for my 91 Kara F&F for about 8 months now, lucked into a hoard of period NOS Shimano stuff, so am almost done. Biggest issue I've had is sourcing the period GT saddle... haven't seen a single decent one in all that time.

Depressed to see I now have competition for one - good luck!

You could always go for a Selle San Marco Regal – the shape (and the big brass rivets) are more or less identical to the higher-spec leather saddles fitted to the Avalanche and above in '91

From what I remember the Karakoram had the same saddle as my old Tequesta (a fairly basic gel-filled jobbie with GT on the nose) – the Regal is a much better substitute

Back