GT Zaskar Project

cdaimers

Devout Dirtbag
Some people may remember the Zaskar from this discussion. http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4574&highlight=zaskar

I came to a deal with downhillsheep and I recieved the frame before xmas.

A few hours with the nitromors and a revitalised Zaskar was borne, abit as a single speed. I was confident it was a Zaskar as the frame number was similar to another Zaskar I have which is cracked.

It was built up with bits and bobs (some retro) including a wheelset from my old LTS and some new.

During

ylp25o.jpg

After

ylp25q.jpg

ylp25r.jpg

ylp25t.jpg

Looks great.

I have a 97 Zaskar which I'm rebuilding up at the moment. It's bright yellow but chipped around the dropouts and a few other paint chips. I was tempted to Nitromors it too but a little hesitant. Yours looks great btw.

After stripping it, have you polished it then lacquered it, or is it just polished? What did you use? I was thinking Autosol (sp?).

Also been really tempted with some Bontrager or Pace rigid forks, but I don't fancy spending 150+ then adding on more for the v-brake mounts! Could stick a cable disc on the front I guess, and leave the Arch Rival on the back. Hmm... decisions decisions.

Here it is so far....
368314622_c0ecd41d28_b.jpg

I used some of the techniques presented in this forum. For polishing I used Belgom Aluminium Polish, worked a treat and only needs a couple of coats.

I think Autosol is the same stuff but does not have as much wax in it.

I also ended up polishing some M900 cranks which look superb.

I always wanted a naked Zaskar and I think it was worth it for the factory look alone.

Back