Hello. (Again) 1994 Orange p7

Kell

Retro Guru
Hi all.

Forgive the long post.

Not posted on here in a couple of years as I had big plans to restore my P7 but never got around to doing anything with it.

I've now decided that I'm going to start the research again and get everything together for a strip down and rebuild.

I also have a 2000 p7 which I've just got running again, but have not really restored if that makes sense. In doing so, it's renewed my enthusiasm for getting the earlier bike back on the road.

But I do have a few questions.

The finish is hard to replicate, and I remember reading several threads a while back about the various ways people had cleaned, prepped and resprayed. But I can't seem to find the threads now.

The frame is in good nick, I've not spotted and dings or real problems, though there are a couple of patches where the finish has come off.

So the first question is what do I use to clean the frame down? And then the second is do I get it resprayed? Polished? Lacquered?

I bought some new, period correct decals a couple of years ago from Gil but never got any further than that. So it doesn't matter if the cleaning process removes those
Things I need to get:

I have a feeling the front mech is seized, couldn't get it to do anything, have sprayed it with WD40 and I'm leaving it to see if it frees up at all.

Two new shifters. It did have X-Ray twist shifts, but when I went to try and get them to move, they've both completely cracked. They can't be saved so they're in the bin.

Would I be able to get trigger shifters for that period? I actually quite like twist grips, so I'd be happy to replace like for like - although when I started this process a long time ago, they were like hen's teeth.

Needs new cables and outers throughout, new BB, new jockey wheels for the rear dérailleur (XTR) that all seems do-able even for someone like me.
My big problem is the headset. An old threaded one, what tools do I need to remove and replace it?

Again, apologies for the long post but I'm quite excited again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 366
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 366
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 366
Nice P7, I'm sure there is plenty of advice on cleaning and laquering a nickel plate P7 frame.

With the headset, it's just the traditional "quill stem" type - and if all is well, it will just need removing, regreasing and putting back again after.

The vertical bolt on the headset needs to be threaded out a few turns, then given a whack with a soft mallet or hammer/woodblock. then the stem and bar should "disconnect" from fork and can be wiggled out veritcally, complete with handlebar brakes and gear cables in tow (or disconnect them if you wish, it makes life far easier)

With the handlebar and stem out of the way, start on the two big nuts on the top. Just using a large adjustable spanner will do this fine, remove the top one first which is the locknut, then lift out the headset washer and cable hanger. One or both usually has a "key" to a slot in the fork threads to form a solid locking mechanism between the two nuts. once you have lifted both out you have access to unscrew the second big nut.

When you start unscrewing the second nut, just be careful! there are two bearing races, one inbetween the frame and stem, one between the frame and the forks. Hopefully these will be a nice bearing race in a cage, that come out politely in one peice in a - a complete undamaged bearing race, ready to be washed and regreased.

Sometimes the race (particularly the lower) has fallen apart and you have to chase ballbearings across the floor and scrunch them back into the bearing cage with pliers. Worse still, is where the ballbaring race has been rubbished competely and someone servicing the headset has removed the bearing cage altogther and just replaced the lot with seperate ballbearings! Just be prepared for all the possible outcomes once the fork starts to drop. Big tray, make sure the little buggers can't roll too far.

Always best to be methodical. Take photos or place items removed in an order that makes it easy to reverse the disasembly!

Hope this helps with your resto.

Re:

Thanks for the tips.

Having started looking at prices for the tools needed if I do have to use them, I'm going to hope everything's ok.

Another question.

And I'm amazed at my own stupidity on this one.

The wheels have disappeared over the years and I've already binned the X-ray shifters as they'd both cracked.

And now I'm wondering would this have been 21 speed or 24?

In my head I'm thinking 21, but then it's 15 years since I've ridden it. My 2000 P7 is 24, and my next three commuter bikes after that were each 27 speed.

Back