Orange P7 nickel removal

RobbieA

Retro Guru
I have a '94 Orange P7 frame that the nickel is peeling from, so I'm planning on getting it painted in a new colour. How is best to remove the nickel coating? One place has suggested an acid dip, another has suggested shot blasting? Are they both suitable? Any help appreciated. Cheers, Rob

Caswells, where we buy a lot of our stuff, does a nickel plating stripper. Its basically patio/ concrete cleaner. You use it like paint stripper.

Although the easiest way is to send it to a platers and get them to deplate it. Might save your carpet....

Thank you for that - I am talking to two local powder coating places, but had two options - one suggests the acid dip would work, the other sand blasting - hence checking on here as I wasn't sure which would work! Google hasn't clarified for me so far 🥲

If it was me i would go chemical, even better why not send it to the platers and get them to reverse process strip it......then put it back on for you after!

I did ask about reverse plating it, but they seem reasonably limited in what they do - both businesses. I spoke to another guy, who's a good hour away, and they reeled off a list of stages, but it's double the price, plus time/petrol. As I don't know much about it, I had to reach out in here for a bit of comfort!

I've already had to have a sit down after getting a quote for re-chroming

Dealing with plating is definitely tricky and expensive.
I bought some tatty 40s marsh bars for 40£, lifting chrome.
Replated at trade price I didn't see change from£200. The prep is extensive.
They are worth at least £220 now😉

Mechanical:
If someone offers to bead blast the nickel off, go for it, as long as you only pay if they succeedand there's still enough frame left to rebuild.
That would be a big win - let us know if it works.

Nickel and steel are similar in hardness, and in fact the plated deposit could be tougher than the underlying steel (tange prestige?)

Chemical:

Screenshot_20240410-080810_Firefox.jpg

Looks challenging🤔

Latest posts

Back