New member - 94 Clockwork

gusman2x

Dirt Disciple
Hey there,

I'm an ex mtb'er from Fort William, now living in Manchester. Soon moving to Todmorden West Yorks, so I'll be getting my Clockwork ready to ride.

Got this new when I was a youngster in Off Beat Bikes in FW. Used to ride with the West Highland Wheelers, and helped build the initial part of the DH course at Aonach Mor.

Anyway, here's some pics, and a question about the RD/RD hanger please.

Still got the skinny forks, but she's currently sporting some Quadra 21s (dressed up to look like r's lol). Sadly the orange anodised bar, and the quick shifters are long gone. It's got X-Ray grip shift. I think I must be the only person in the whole world who didn't have X-Rays explode below 5 degC. Saddles well ready for retirement sadly. Although I don't think my old ass could take it now anyway :)

There's some surface rust on the frame, but nothing of any real note, and all the welds seem fine (was probably 9st last time I rode this properly)

25tjo2f.jpg

2eoxmjs.jpg

Does this look like the hanger is bent? I remember when I first put the XTR DR on it was fine, but a few years ago I rode it into town and noticed that the arm was hitting the spokes.

2qvgxll.jpg

kajq1l.jpg

As for getting it back together, think I'll start by getting it running. Need to buy all the clothing anyway as all my old stuff perished years ago.

Only thing I'm considering changing straight away is the forks. Would love to put a set of Mag 21s on it, as that was what I always wanted. That might not be a great idea though.

Anyway, sorry for the essay. Glad to have found this place.

Angus

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Your hanger is little bit bent. You could probably fix it yourself but to be completely sure I suggest to take it to your LBS. They should have Derailleur hanger straightening tool.

In any case, you have nice bike that just needs some TLC.

Good luck,
Darko.

Re:

Hey Darko,

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, i think i'll take it to a lbs for a full service. Would do it myself, but until i move, i won't have the space.

hello :) welcome to the forum
if you have a metal working vice the hanger could be straightened "good enough" without much grief - hold hanger in the vice (make sure you are bending back at the right point) and use frame for leverage. You might get away with a

Steel frames are pretty forgiving with stuff like that

Re:

Don't move house....

If you do your doomed, this site will condemn you to a life of constantly tinkering with bike #1 and although you think your strong the Retro Bike force Aka the for sale section will mean one will grow onto two and before you know it you'll have a stable full

Quit before you get bitten :D

There is no cure

Re:

Ha Spud, i'm already imagining a white kilauea to tinker with over Christmas. Or my personal grail, the Pace square frame with a set of RC35s

Re: Re:

gusman2x":3bcac7c3 said:
Ha Spud, i'm already imagining a white kilauea to tinker with over Christmas. Or my personal grail, the Pace square frame with a set of RC35s

That Pace you speak off was the only bike I owned before finding this site, check out the link in my signature below.

But there is always something else and something after that one :facepalm:

This site makes you poor but enriches you never the less

Re:

Good to see you giving the old girl some love. :cool:

I've not had much experience with Mag 21's but I believe they're quite fragile. I had Pace RC35's on mine and thought they were great. Member justbackdated will do you a full refurb on a pair if you buy a tatty set.

Plenty of square tubed Pace come up so prepare your wallet!

Re:

Welcome! Good to see another Clockwork – needs a little TLC though. Some LBS get very nervous about liabilities and doing things to frames – had a similar issue with the rear dropouts and many wouldn't entertain the thought. I guess careful DIY 'straightening' might be possible. Oh and good to see a pair of Onza HOs on a bike.

HI there Groovy.

Yes she does need a bit of love, but I don't think I'll be going for a restoration, I really just want a good bike to get back out on. Used to do a lot when I was younger, and now want to get back into it. Spoke to a couple of LBS and they seem fine with the idea of straitening the hanger.

The pedals are actually Ritcheys

Back