Dekerf 853 Team SL SS: A New Level

jinjrich

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
So i've been riding my Dekerf a few months now, and i love it.

However, due to an expensive year buying our first house and various other things, its now only one of two bikes i now own. The other MTB had to be sold.

With this in mind and with autumn approaching, the bike is to be 'improved' to make it more useable and adaptable to the riding i like to do.

Some purists may not like what's going to happen, but i believe in riding bikes not packing them in cotton wool, so the changes i'm making will be to make it even more useable and hopefully it'll be ridden more. I also want to keep this bike for a long time.

So first up, a lovely new fork ;)

unnamed20.jpg

unnamed1.jpg

unnamed-1.jpg

Re:

Wonderful ride.

Chris's forks ride so nice, worth the coin. Frame is no slouch either!

Disk front rim brake rear?

Re: Re:

Mr.Toad":3927fxz6 said:
Wonderful ride.

Chris's forks ride so nice, worth the coin. Frame is no slouch either!

Disk front rim brake rear?

thanks..
possibly discs both ends....

I was all ready to send this off to argos for a disc mount adding, new hose guides, and the canti mounts removing.... but i'm having a crisis!
Is it worth the money to do this (quite expensive) work when its in such good nick, and as CDK (and steveW for that matter) intended it?
Is there anything wrong with a disc upfront and a v out back?? Do i want to loose the early decals? Am i thinking too much?

Buying a house is a money pit. If you've sold other bikes then I wouldn't blow the cash on expensive frame upgrades just yet. Ride it with mixed brakes over winter. If you are feeling flush in spring and having rear disc brakes will revolutionise it make the upgrade then.

Argos will be happy to take your cash now or in 6 months and will do an awesome job regardless :)

Rodrigues":17pw6rbu said:
Buying a house is a money pit. If you've sold other bikes then I wouldn't blow the cash on expensive frame upgrades just yet. Ride it with mixed brakes over winter. If you are feeling flush in spring and having rear disc brakes will revolutionise it make the upgrade then.

Argos will be happy to take your cash now or in 6 months and will do an awesome job regardless :)

Good advice. I think i was leaning this way, but for some reason i needed to hear it from a total stranger on retrobike! :D thanks.
The old wheels are up for sale so i may put a cheaper disc ready set on for the winter and make my mind up later

Re:

That looks nice, I've had a disc up front and V-brake rear before and to be honest I got on with it just fine.
I think with all the time, expense, and changing of the frame that putting a disc brake on the rear is going to mean you have to ask yourself "will it really make that much of a difference?".... if it was me... probably not, it's not a case of "living with a non-disc rear", more a case of "if it does the job..."

What brake were you thinking of going with up front? and what brake for the rear? Matching levers would be a bonus (I hate having different levers, even worse if they are different colours :LOL: ).

Back