96' small Cinder Cone rescued!!!!

misteroo

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
Spotted this outside someone's house a couple of days ago while waiting for my wife. I knocked on the door, and the lady said it belonged to a friend of theirs that uses it now and again and just leaves it at their house!! She rang him while I was there and he said I could have it for £50! It's a 1996. 16" frame (top of seat tube) in a bit of a state, but a little bit of TLC, new bars, shifters etc...should be fine for my wife!!
Some idiot has completely screwed up the seat post though and there is about 6" stuck down in the frame....should be fun getting that out!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 636
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 636
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 636
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 636
Re: Re:

misteroo":2ivtysph said:
So how do I get this out?

Get some sort of z bar to go down the middle and hook underneath and hammer upwards on to the other part of the z sticking out?
Might work but would have to be a strong bar where the bends are.

Re:

Looks like a caustic soda job to me! It's hard to see how far down it is - could you get away with just leaving it there?

Could you get a hacksaw blade down there and carefull cut a slot in the tube,which would loosen it..

Re:

It's about 2" down. I'm guessing the original owner needed to lower the saddle so just cut down the post gauged out enough to clamp in about 2"...basically a right crap job!! Luckily I still have the post from my old Kilauea!!
Can't wait to tackle the BB....

BikerB":2ezlb24c said:
Could you get a hacksaw blade down there and carefull cut a slot in the tube,which would loosen it..

This is what I've started with!!!
But I'm thinking the Caustic Soda route may be easier

Re:

I had to weld a big socket with a hex section at the other end to my bb in my fire mountain and turn the frame while the socket was clamped in a vice. The sod was seized a good un!

Re:

Good score andy
Get one of these off Rampage viewtopic.php?f=76&t=286607

I used and ordinary hacksaw blade with some cloth wrapped around to hold it with and took a whole weekend cutting 3 slots before mine came out :) Rampages' tool looks to make it much easier :)

At least you won't damage the paint unlike the caustic soda way

Latest posts

Back