1996 Explosif

Bone Machine

Dirt Disciple
This is my current project. Thought I'd post some pics of the frame, while I have the bike all stripped down. I have a lot of the original parts; but they need a thorough cleaning, truing, and/or re-greasing.

The 16" (centre to top) frame weighs in at 4.12lbs.
The paint and decals are in excellent shape. Just a few chips. No dents on the frame (except from chain suck).
I didn't like the colour, when I had only seen this model in pictures. But I kinda like it now; seeing the actual bike.

i6vx.jpg

ni1e.jpg

icgxh.jpg

1vgs.jpg

zrio.jpg

5rsk.jpg

great color. this ll build up nice. What are you part options? i'd opt for something workmanlike, imo how a good Kona should be.

I'll be mostly putting the original parts back on it. The brakes are going to be changed to v-brakes. I'll also be changing the tires and saddle, but that's about it. I did have to replace the elastomers on the Judy XC fork. A previous owner changed the front derailleur to a Sachs, and the bottom bracket to a UN-51.
I'd like to change to a Project 2 fork, but could take a while to find one with the right steerer length. This bike has a really short head tube (3 1/2").

I love 96 Konas, and the Explosif especially - you can check mine over here, it is (almost) OE spec.

When you replace the elastomers, check the damper cartridge, they tend to leak. The plastic ones more likely then the alloy ones.
If you thing to go the spring route, you should check for an cartridge which is capable to handle the increase force of the springs - the orignal dont cope with. Check the internet for Type II system, which Rock Shox offered from 97 one for the Judy line.

My Explosif does also have the Sachs FD from the very first day. I read somewhere, that Kona change the specs. within the year - a matter of availablility, it seems.

A P2 fork is always a good choice. If you fail to find a threaded one which fits the head tube, you can look for a P2 with an A-head steerer - in 97 they where available in the same design as in 96. Otherwise you could cut the steerer tube of a longer fork - not always recommended.

Looking forward seeing yours build up.

Or there's these:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/151300396940?nav=SEARCH

Alternatively if you decide to go the thread less steerer route I have a set of black P2's in excellent order with the original cable hanger from my partners Cinder Cone going spare. The head tube on this is also 3 1/2". PM me if interested.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Excellent looking frame - quite rare to find them without dents and intact like this. It should ride like a rocket!

Minifreak and magas, thanks for the suggestions. I don't use ebay, so my resources are rather limited. I do own a threadless P2. But for now, I want to keep the original stem and headset. I think that if I do go threadless in the future, it'll be to put a better suspension fork on it. I never really liked elastomers.

Ah, I didn't realize that the Sachs FD was original. I was going by the specs listed on BikePedia.

Magas - Did you mean to post a link to your bike? I'd like to see it.

Back